Recent content by Friendly Fire

1. Friendly Fire

Need Advice - Fish/Coral Death What to do next?

I bought some kallwasser to raise the ca, but after study I'm worried that it won't be able to raise the ca level enough without spiking my PH. Should I head back to the LFS or can I use baking soda to raise Ca? If I can use baking soda how do I go about doing that?
  2. Friendly Fire

Pictures - I'll post shortly (Anything in particular you would like to see in the pics) Tank age - 5 months Contamination - Possibility. Never used any copper treatments. I dip my fish in methylene blue with a double dip of clean water to rinse. Final dip in clean water for...
  3. Friendly Fire

29 Gal No Skimmer No Sump Canister Filter running Carbon/GFO and Purigen 40lbs live rock LED lighting Temp - 78 SG - 1.024 Ammonia - 0 Nitries - 0 Nitrates - 0 PH - 8.3 Alkalinity KH -12.6 Calcium - 350 Magnesium - 1280 I have had great losses in the past few months. I need...
  4. Friendly Fire

First reef tank

Welcome to the club bud. Congrats on making the jump. Sounds like your off to a great start. Looking forward to those pics!
  5. Friendly Fire

A Real Hero

Somebody had to say it. We'll spoken Mike. Making statements about individuals who would leave there families at home and forfeit there own lives to safe guard the freedom of others and their country is uncalled for. Nothing but thanks giving and praise should ever enter your mind about the men...
  6. Friendly Fire

Help - Snails deaths, Torch Coral not extending

I was buffering my water with API proper PH but I don't dose with anything. I'm thinking I should try mixing my salt before mixing with FW to see if I can balance the chemistry out.
  7. Friendly Fire

These reading seem a bit high. Any way to get them lower?
  8. Friendly Fire

Ok I got my test kit in the mail yesterday. Here are the readings I got from the tests. Mg 1400 CA 475 dkH 14 Are any of these numbers too far off from optimal? Enough that would be causing the coral to not fully extend?
  9. Friendly Fire

Help with salt water mixing

We'll that solved the problem. PH seems to have been the culprit with the white sludge. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments and help with fixing my problem. Really appreciate all the feedback and suggests.
  10. Friendly Fire

SPS Crash!

Yeah, really sorry to hear about your troubles man. Don't throw in the towel. Hope you find the cause.
  11. Friendly Fire

Reef Test Kit or invest in Hanna Checkers

I'm kinda surprised more people didn't chime in on what test kits they use and what they have found to be most convent. I know what you mean though Kyle about parameters not changing, my basics water quality checks are always good these days. Just have to watch the nitrates with all the dead...
  12. Friendly Fire

Got it! Thanks. I'm going to shop for a reef test kit right now.
  13. Friendly Fire

I should have also mentioned that the stalk of the coral has a increasing amount of green algae growing on it. Don't know if this could be the cause of the coral not opening. I'm thinking of waiting until tonight and trying to brush it off with a toothbrush.
  14. Friendly Fire

In the last week my smaller snails have died and some of the larger snails have detached from the glass and they just dont look right. My torch coral has also stopped extending all the way out. My blue mushroom has kinda shriveled up....but still alive. I check the basic parameters and...