Recent content by Daytonben

1. Daytonben

LED lighting lawsuit...

Icstorc, I am working on building my own LED solution for my next tank. I checked up on Solaris units and it seemed like they were using the 40* optics for each bulb. Do you think that changing to the wider 60* spread patterns would make enough difference ?
  2. Daytonben

Have a Lighting Idea--Advice Needed

Ogirl, what did you do make that top-cover out of? ...and can we get a couple pics of it pls ^_^. (the aquarium cover that keeps the fishies in the tank)
  3. Daytonben

Akwar'eum Too

Nice pics! Hey, can I trouble you for new pics of your Mangroves and Algae Scrubber? I am working on designing mine and can use all the info I can get.
  4. Daytonben

Profilux controller

I don't have one yet but am really tempted by it as well. Want to see some more application and testimony first. This is the one I am most strongly considering for my design though.
  5. Daytonben

Bubble-King style skimmer.

So I keep reading up on skimmers. I really like the Beckett style that I've seen produced with DIY, but I like the theory behind the 'tuned-volute' styles with nice bubble plates. Something like the BubbleKing or ASM models. How would you get the inner core peices to be curved like that...
  6. Daytonben

72" Solaris LED lighting.

Is this still available ?
  7. Daytonben

"Honey, don't you think an aquarium would look nice on that wall?"

Oh! Ooohhh!! I guess I should tell you that this Chronicle just took a giant leap .... forward? Well, it's goin somewhere... I hope that's forward ^_^. I have decided to write a DIY book (possibly making it an eBook) detailing the design and installation of a Saltwater Aquarium, Skimmer, Calc...
  8. Daytonben

"Honey, don't you think an aquarium would look nice on that wall?"

Well, I have access to -most- of the area on the other side of the wall behind the tank. But the furnace prevents it from being an In-Wall build. As shallow and narrow as the tank will be, I could go the Plywood-Glassfront route and probably be ok if I just finished the ends with something...
  9. Daytonben

Varga's 300 Gallon In-Wall Build!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okies, question time for Varga! Calc reactor... I have never used one but am definitely interested in setting one up for the build I am going to do. I know very little about them and have seen some systems that dose CO2 and some that don't. How are you liking yours and what can ya tell me...
  10. Daytonben

My 34 Gallon Seahorse and Macro Tank!

How do you ship that red macro? I know a lot of algae's disintegrate in bags of water when shipped. Not sure if you send that one in wet newspaper or bag it up and hope.
  11. Daytonben

Akwar'eum Too

What salt were you using before? I am currently debating between SeaChem Reefsalt and HawaiianMarine's high end stuff. I think it's Marinemix pro or something like that. I used to always use Hawaiian Marine's stuff, but then read about Seachem's stuff and the way they measure everything...
  12. Daytonben

LED lighting

Well, the 'white' bulbs used there are pretty yellow as they come in at 5500K. Usable? Sure. It's a little ways from ideal though. You would have a really healthy algae population.
  13. Daytonben

noisy tank drain

The only surefire way of stopping that noise is to eliminate water going into that hole :p. Umm, I've stuffed overflow boxes with styrofoam and such before and it worked out ok. Try and put a sponge over the part that has airflow through it. Like on the actual drainpipe. Include a pic...
  14. Daytonben

Ok, how did they build this?

ZeroEdge Aquariums - A Truly Unique Reef Aquarium Check out a few of the tanks. I'm thinking that they heated the front edges to make the corners, and I'm fine with doing that. The question I have is how the managed to make the top edge appear seamless. Do you think they just hyper-polished...
  15. Daytonben

Coast-to-Coast question.

Yeah, as long as it is quiet enough (or can be made to be so) then I am going to use the CtC idea similar to Vargas' approach. Then toying with the idea of adding 2 spraybars for the return lines. One directly underneath the CtC (pointed down) and then one at the bottom rear of the tank...