Recent content by Brother Silas

1. needs id

needs id

Hello folks Just wondering if anyone could help identify a couple things here. I have small white spots all over the place that I thought were calcium deposits at first; but then noticed that they also have hair sprouting from them. A form of algae, perhaps? Also, is the red algae on the...
  2. Brother Silas

Update

Hi again nano friends. You may have noticed some pics I posted of the progress my tank has made since I last visited. I'm pretty happy with how things are going. I first added four blue legged crabs soon after my first post, they seemed somewhat overwhelmed by the task at hand, but seemed...
  3. victory

victory

algae in retreat
  4. rear chamber

rear chamber

5. Algae

Algae

My algae before adding a cleaning crew
  6. another shot of my algae forest

another shot of my algae forest

7. Brother Silas

New to the reef hobby and forums- question

Thanks- I found a nice selection at Fosters and Smith as well. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Shop.cfm?N=2004 I'll let you all know what happens here in a little while. Should be interesting.
  8. Brother Silas

Thanks to all for the advice. I hear chemi-clean can help with the phosphate problem, so I'll get some of that and shorten my light cycle for now until I get a new filter and R/O setup. I had read on nano-reef that widening the opening to chamber two was generally a good thing to do...
  9. Brother Silas

Temp- 79.1 deg F pH- 8.3ish Nitrite- 0ppm Nitrate- 0ppm Ammonia- 0ppm SG- 1.022+ I'm using a kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals who sound as if they can be trusted with chemicals- but what do I know. Based on my limited knowledge, I haven't cycled yet. Or maybe I missed it and am doing...
  10. Brother Silas

Hair algae- that makes sense, I guess. Nothing fancy in my cycle- added the water, then live sand and base rock, then live rock. First water change was last week. I have been using filtered tap water and Oceanic salt mix. (R/O will come later. gotta give the credit card a break) Here's...
  11. Brother Silas

Hello, all Been lurking a while and have translated the collected knowledge into a new BC 29 setup. Apparently my existing hobbies weren't taking enough cash out of my pocket. :) I've been up and running about two weeks now with the live rock. I have yet to see an ammonia spike(unless it...