Recent content by bNewman

1. B

Open to any ideas

I have the same size tank in my living room, but there's only one overflow in the center, unlike most others. For that reason, I arranged the rocks to slope up unevenly towards the center to cover the overflow box. For a reef tank, My favorite inhabitants are clams and the bright softies and...
  2. B

Powder Blue Tang vs. Melanurus Wrasse

-update- Before this afternoon, I'd see the wrasse pop out occasionally, for just a moment, then chased quickly back into the rockwork, but does not seem hurt. When I check the tank now, I can see it wedged between two rocks looking at me. It comes out every few minutes until its chased back...
  3. B

I can't catch the bully. If I do, there's no need to move anything around in the tank. How can I catch it?
  4. B

A 3" melanarus wrasse jumped from an acclimation box after a day when I left the cover off. In the 120g tank that it jumped into is a 2" PBT that continuously chases the wrasse back into hiding when/if it comes out. The tang has been in the tank for about 2 months along with a yellow tang(added...
  5. B

Koralia 12v

-update The tank already has a ~600GPH return pump with a split outlet.
  6. B

Koralia 12v

I've decided to install a Hydor Korilia Wavemaker in my 150g reef aquarium. My question is, what 12 volt pump model is recommended on each side if placed in the upper, rear corners of a 4' x 2' x 2' tank full of live rock and mostly soft and LPS corals? (Hydor Koralia 5, 6, 7, or 8)
  7. B

return anti-siphon hole

I just finished setting up a single overflow 150G tank with a 900GPH sump return pump. I got lazy and bought a AGA Mega Flow overflow kit with the loud anti-siphon hole in the 90 degree elbow. Can I drill a new hole in the pipe below the tank waterline and/or overflow waterline, and plug the...
  8. B

shopping for a 48" light fixture

I just bought a new 4' long 150g tank without a canopy. What are some of the favorite LED fixtures to mount or hang over a tank full of clams? Also, I have a 14000k 250w MH bulb over my older tank that makes a great shimmer effect. Do LED lights make a stronger, weaker, or just a similar...
  9. B

How many clams?

How many different clams, if any, do you keep in your tank?
  10. B

Two Little Fishies Marine Snow

I have a 55g tank and I've used about half the recommended dose once a week now. Monday morning(8/29/2011) was when I added it for the 3rd time, and the next day is when things didn't "wake up". Only 2 of 6 small lps corals, and maybe 5 different snails died. Everything else, including all the...
  11. B

Two Little Fishies Marine Snow

I bought some Marine Snow invertebrate food about 3 weeks ago and started using it intermittently. Now, 2 days after using just a small dose for the third time, a few corals, some snails, and an urchin are dying or dead. I know that I'm supposed to provide tank parameters and such, but I'm...
  12. B

Current Outer Orbit wattage upgrade

I have an Outer Orbit hanging light fixture from Current. The 150w MH bulb just isn't bright enough anymore so I'm thinking about changing the ballast to a 250 watt. Can I do this by just replacing it and the bulb, or does the fixture and/or other parts need to be replaced as well?
  13. B

yellow colony polyp overtake

To the home depot I go then. Some of the patches are just so big, it'll still take such a long time. Maybe I'll try a hard toothbrush if I get bored or tired. Thanks for the idea that I would never have thought of!
  14. B

Has anyone tried covering the rocks with fabric of some kind? I don't care if some xenia or mushrooms die.
  15. B

There is also 2 peppermint and a pistol shrimp in the 90g tank.