Recent content by Beach Girl

1. Beach Girl

Help I have Ick

Well all my fish are dead now. the soft coral and my clean up crew got moved to my big tank. So discouraging we are now starting from scratch... in 8 weeks
  2. Beach Girl

Help I have Ick

I lost my coral beauty with no cause that I could see( no spots swimming fine). now 3 days later both of my pajama cardinal have ick and they have it bad. I moved them into the sump and turned the sump off so it is basically the QT tank now. There is nothing in there bare bottom. I will treat...
  3. Beach Girl

Maculosus Angelfish needs a big home

I would like to trade my HUGE Yellow bar for some smaller reef safe fish or some cool anemones or something. I am VERY flexible and not asking for the Angelfish's value by any means. Maybe a smaller tang or some dwarf angles or ?? My angel needs at least a 200 gal tank. She is at least 7-8...
  4. Beach Girl

Made the two biggest mistakes today

Thanks! No sign of parasites yet and he/she is swimming normally and looks good so far. Keeping my fingers crossed! i thought about treating the tank premptively but I think i will wait and see if anything develops. I would hate to stress her out and possibly hurt my other inhabitants if she is...
  5. Beach Girl

Made the two biggest mistakes today

First was I "rescued" a coral beauty Angel from my work. I know NEVER rescue fish. Every coral beauty we have gotten in has died within a few days. My boss convinced me that she would have a better chance at my house. Second is I put her in the QT and she immediately started to stress (...
  6. Beach Girl

Total overrun pest infestation, advice?

I bought captive bred peppermints for my Aptasia and it was all gone over night. Never to return. But I also cu back on feeding for about 4 days to make sure the little guys were hungry. the problem with other methods is that is if you don't get all the Aptasia it will just make more. The more...
  7. Beach Girl

Mantis!!

That is AWESOME!!
  8. Beach Girl

Tank cycle

JJ is right a few pieces of raw deli shrimp buried in the sand will immediately start the cycle and you won't be risking any livestock. It is the best way. and don't fall for the bacteria in a bottle crap at the LFS. Bacteria need food to survive and they aren't getting anything in a sealed bottle.
  9. Beach Girl

PH and Alkaline issues in tank

Sasquach good Idea about the crushed coral, I'll try it. My water was tested at the LFS with salifert. I only use test strips as a baseline BETWEEN regular testing. I know test strips are crap but it gives me an idea if something is up. Betta is still fine and eating well. Thanks everyone for...
  10. Beach Girl

need some lighting help

What do you all think of the "reef capable" LED light from Marineland? Fosters and Smith have them and they are fairly reasonable. If not I will take fishwhiz's advise I think and go with the Aquaticlife T5 dual light fixture.
  11. Beach Girl

To answer a few questions. Yes I have a filter with brand new pads (carbon in a floss bag). I have replaced the pads again just to be sure there is nothing icky in them. Ammonia and nitrates/trites are at 0. I have been buffering every other day and the Betta is doing fine I am watching him...
  12. Beach Girl

My LFS tested it with Salifert and it read 5.8. I used baking soda and our Betta is alive so far (they can tolerate more acidity then some others). I will definitely take some gravel out and test it with some plain tap water. Thanks for that idea! Question why would the airstone be a problem...
  13. Beach Girl

need some lighting help

I read the sticky about lighting but I still need some help. I am setting up a 75E tank and I want to go with HO bulbs. I don't have $500 bucks to drop for the fixture alone so can anyone make any recommendations? My LFS said I need a minimum of 6 bulbs but when I looked it up most 48"...
  14. Beach Girl

I brought the water to work with me and tested the freshwater tank twice, both times it gave the same reading. I also tested my saltwater just for fun and it read fine with the same strips as did the water from the freshwater tanks at work. So it isn't the strips even thought they suck. I use...
  15. Beach Girl

question about my tank.

I wish I could help but I am having the same problem. My anthelia melted and my star polyps are retracted however my red polyps are fine. I did find a rediculous amount of bristleworms (3 of them were as long as my hand and as big as my finger around!!). I captured most of them in my son's sippy...