Recent content by aussiefishfan

1. A

Detected small amount of ammonia and nitrite - should I add Ammolock right away?

I've been trying to remove some filter media material (sponges,matting and polyester wool) a bit at a time so as not to cause a spike. The intention was to try to get the tank where the biological filtration could handle it. I had the stuff in a corner overflow which then goes to my sump with...
  2. A

Is it possible that my tank is almost cycled in a week?

Yup, you're right - fortunately not much coral yet - wanting my water parameters a helluva lot better than they are now before I moveon to the next step. I have a leather and some fluffies and an anemone for the clown fish, and that's about it. he hasn't taken a chomp out of anything.... yet...
  3. A

Just how much SHOULD I be feeding my fish?

The guy I've bought my fish from has been hanging on to them so I can introduce a few a week... well his schedule tightened up and I had to colledt the balance. I'm nervous as hell and reckon I will be testing twice a day until I'm sure that the tank isn't going to &^%% itself. 6 Blue Chromis...
  4. A

Hmmm looks like it's one of THOSE questions where there are a million different answers - all valid. I think given my general nature and the urge to feed people and animals, it's unlikley that I will ever be able to put my fish on "diet". Reckon that I'd better make sure my filtration is the...
  5. A

Wow, unreal! Thanks heaps for that link - makes me feel heaps better. I have been asking questioons about fish food recipes, now I'm going to go ahead and do it!:bigbounce
  6. A

Tank size 8.5ft x 2.3ft x 2.1 ft
  7. A

Even tho' these fish are huge? Chromis about 4'' Foxy about 6" and tangs about 4". New clowny also over 3", Pics will come later tonight after I get home :) For now: If I feed them with one cube of brine shrimp with spirulina in the morning and a strip of nori, and then one plakton cube in...
  8. A

In my recently cycled tank I have 1x Chromis, 2 x tangs, 1x Foxface, 1 X Maroon clown - oh and a small anemone. The fish are really big, about 8 years old. I have read heaps about overfeeding fish and the dangers, but nowhere I've found tells you how much you should be feeding them except what...
  9. A

As far as I know he's a Giant Hermit Crab or "Petrochirus diogenes". The only problem is that he's got plain white feelers, not stripy as described on the species description - so I could be wrong. I'll try to get a pic up when I get home and ask for identification opinions...
  10. A

For those who are interested, it seems that my tank was indeed cycled. I ended up having to make a rather risky decision as all the livestock in my sick 3ft tank looked as though they were on a decline. Myammonia and nitrite levels had been 0 or very close to it for a while, despite the...
  11. A

The fish are currently in a rather poorly 3ft tank we inherited from a friend who'd lost interest. The fish and the corals have totally outgrown the tank, long term HA problems, high nitrates that I just cannot get rid of, etc. The sooner I can get the poor buggers over the better, although I...
  12. A

No, hermy gets his own fresh one every day - the other I chopped and placed in a little bag where he can't get it. It's pretty slimy now. BTW, I've been told that the crab is carnivorous - noticed that he didn't touch the algae provided for the tangs when he was in the same tank. Is there...
  13. A

Cool, I will leave him. He's a massive giant hermit crab with a helluva appetite, so am feeding him generously - in part so see if the tank reacts to the bioload. If the bacteria hasn't established itself properly I guess I will see it in the test results! If the levels don't go up again by the...
  14. A

OK, added shrimp 2 days ago. Added some fish pellets as well. I have a hermit crab in the tank with the idea that if I get an ammonia spike I can fish him out and put him back in the other tank. Reckon his poop may be good for feeding ammonia bacteria as well? Marginal rise in ammonia levels...
  15. A

The LR came straight from an established tank, into barrels, covered with water from the tank, straight home and into my tank which had been circulating with salt and sand for about 2 weeks. I din't scrub it or anything. Very clean stuff.