Recent content by Alien2100

1. Alien2100

Question of the week: June 18, 2012

I chose an SWC Extreme Cone Mini S, for built quality, performance and price. Overall I've been very happy with the skimmer. The only real complaint would be that it's not a true seamless cone, there's a small transition where the cone meets the neck. However, the skimmer works fantastic and...
  2. Alien2100

new

Welcome to RS, I'd start with the 3 fish you have now, that's 1 per 10 gallons of water already. And not knowing the type of clowns you have, or the other fish, means you don't yet know how big they will be as adults. Could be that you're already at a comfortable limit for the tank. After...
  3. Alien2100

any flaws in fuge design?

It's hard to really tell from the pics, they're rather small. It might just be me, but I can't enlarge them. I'm sure you know, there are a lot of video's on you tube for this mod though, might be a good reference.
  4. Alien2100

Lighting sps is this enough?

Welcome to the wonderful world of corner tanks, lol. They seem to have their own set of problems with lighting, flow, and filtration. The dimensions you gave seem like a 36 gallon corner, is that correct? You're not really going to be able to use T5's in any type of beneficial set up to grow...
  5. Alien2100

Adding new flow to my tank, Tunze or Vortech?

Good to know it widens the flow up to be like the 6095. Good link by the way, I actualy read this a week ago. Good site though, I'm a fan of Fenner's books and website. I'm almost starting to lean towards using a vortech with one tunze, best of both flow types. Or 2 x 6105's, running one...
  6. Alien2100

I don't believe so, because the prop is larger on the 6095 than it is on the 6055. It can work the other way though from what I've read.
  7. Alien2100

Thanks, Foxsavage The 6105 was one of my original picks, I was a little concerned it might be to much flow even tuned down though. And I think it's about an inch bigger than the 6095 as well. I know they added the wide flow cover after the redesign, however I haven't found anyone using one...
  8. Alien2100

Thanks for the helpful advise, DaveK I think I missed listing my tank set-up, that would have been helpful, lol. But it's my 92gal corner tank that's been up and running since late 2005. The tank is a mixed reef that has started to become an SPS dominate tank. A rough idea of the rock...
  9. Alien2100

Seems to be a very popular forum topic, but I figured I'd ask and hope to learn a little more in doing so. Recently I've been doing a lot of research on adding more random flow to my 92 gal corner tank. And I do mean a lot, :lol: (last three months of watching videos, reading articles &...
  10. Alien2100

How long do you leave your lighting on?

The answers were based off of your quote " I'll change the cycle tonight from 10am - 10pm and see if everything grows even faster.". It was just friendly advice that if you wanted to increase your photo period to do it slowly, sense a sudden change like that could shock corals. However...
  11. Alien2100

Broken light fixture

lol, that's how I ended up with a 4 bulb over my 30gal :P
  12. Alien2100

Only thing I'd advise is make the change slowly, adding 6hrs of light suddenly may shock your corals. But if you add an hour a week, until you get to the amount of light you want, your corals should be okay. Plus this will give you the chance to watch how everything's responding to the added...
  13. Alien2100

Sorry, I wasn't so much talking about the location of the aquarium. I was referring to where the corals come from in nature that we put into our aquariums. For the most part coral reefs are are located in the tropics, this part of the world see's a very constant 12 hrs of light throughout the...
  14. Alien2100

back at it about leds

For what you're looking to do yes. If you only wanted the added color pop that LED's add then a couple strips would work. But trying to run the whole tank with LED's and only use your MH system part of the time just wouldn't work, sorry.
  15. Alien2100

back at it about leds

Actually they're 3w LED's, however the owner designed them to run at 1.5w to extend there life. They also make a VHO LED that has more output. But either way for what you're looking to do, your going to want to go all LED. It just wouldn't make much sense to try and fit strips under the MH...