Recent content by 3dees

1. 3dees

LFS says this REQUIRED. True?

truth is that it's us and not the lfs that's to blame. yes, it's frustrating to get bad advice from them, but with all the information available to us today, there is really no need to ask them anything beyond price. most mistakes we make are because we don't do the research.
  2. 3dees

LFS says this REQUIRED. True?

if your lfs said it, it must be true. I would find another lfs. I have a 120 gal. softie/lps reef and I don't dose anything. just bi-weekly wc's. almost three years and everything is fine.
  3. 3dees

Can 2 dwarf angles coexist

I added an Eibli to my tank and my coral beauty would have none of it. killed it within two days. that's in a 120 gal. three tangs in that tank is asking for nothing but problems.
  4. 3dees

sump or no sump??

the truth is that while a sump is the best option, they are not a must. I'm retired with severe back problems. my 120 gal. softie/lps tank is sumpless. 2 1/2 years and no problems. I also don't believe that a skimmer has to be so large seeing that there are many skimmerless tanks doing quite...
  5. 3dees

Infestation All Of A Sudden!

I have them, although not an infestation. I leave them alone. they seem to feed off the algae on the glass. never seen them doing any harm to my coral.
  6. 3dees

Live rock or dead?

pro's and con's for each. people have trouble with the dry rock leaching phosphates leading to algae problems. I set my 120 gal. with all live rock. I guess I got lucky because I didn't have any pests. live rock can also come with some nice surprises like coral, sponge, etc. nice thing was my...
  7. 3dees

Angel fish

I added a eibli to my 120 gal. tank after 5 weeks of qt only to see my coral beauty kill it in two days. never thought it would happen as the cb doesn't bother any other fish. it can work in a very large tank or when they are added at the same time.
  8. 3dees

Full-Tank Friday!

all those nem's in a just cycled tank? I don't have any but have always believed they need a mature tank. here's hoping you prove it to be wrong.
  9. 3dees

VOTE for July 2015's TOTM!

thanks everyone. never thought my tank would be considered. Mayja, I'm a him, not a her.
  10. 3dees

Feather Duster Location

I have a duster growing out of my gps and it keeps getting bigger. it is in heavy flow. they are filter feeders and need current.
  11. 3dees

Best fish for topless tank

some fish are more prone to jump but any fish can and will jump. best to have a screen top for small fish. I use egg crate but most of my fish won't fit thru the openings. tangs are not known as jumpers but their aggressiveness can cause other fish to jump. I have two wrasse's and three dart...
  12. 3dees

75g Butterflyfish Tank

love the scape. makes the tank look bigger than a 75. I would think about adding anymore. they get big and a 75 isn't that large. I was planning my 120 gal. the same way but I decided I wanted some coral so no on a bf tank. I still wanted one so last week this guy came from my qt. heniochus...
  13. 3dees

Full-Tank Friday!

I'm lucky I got the pic posted at all. I hate computers and they hate me. at my age I'm happy to get on the internet. anyway, thank you.
  14. 3dees

Full-Tank Friday!

here's my 120 gal. softie/lps work in progress. going on two years.
  15. 3dees

Is there a science to Aquascaping live rock?

I used large rock on the bottom and flatter rock on top. no need for rods. by the way, you can cut up plastic cloths hangers. they are safe and cheap. I went for caves instead of arches as I think they are better for the fish. mine go all the way through the rocks. not the greatest looking...