Buying from Petco

dsmooth

Has anyone bought fish from Petco. I have been eyeing this pair of juvi Clarkii Clown Fish for the last month. priced good at less than $15.00. What are your thoughts.

new reefer 03

i dont see a problem with it, as long as your safe about it and QT there should be no problems.
i bought a yellow tang from a trusted LFS that QTs for 3 weeks before selling, and my tang had MHLLE, my dad bought a tang from Petco and has ad no problems with it at all. neither of us QT. if you can make sure you do though.

just inspect the fish, look for damage, look for bloating, white dots, maybe ask how long they have been in.

mps9506

i dont see a problem with it, as long as your safe about it and QT there should be no problems.
i bought a yellow tang from a trusted LFS that QTs for 3 weeks before selling, and my tang had MHLLE, my dad bought a tang from Petco and has ad no problems with it at all. neither of us QT. if you can make sure you do though.

just inspect the fish, look for damage, look for bloating, white dots, maybe ask how long they have been in.

The issue is larger than just the individual fish. It's the fact that most of their stores don't have properly trained staff and most have dead or dying fish in them. It is about as bad as buying fish from walmart. Don't give them the reason to take another fish from the ocean. Support the retailers that care about the animals.

mettjl03

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM PETCO.... I bought a fish from there once and it was all diseased and killed everything and I mean everything in my tank. I lost over 500$ in fish!!!

ReefLady

Staff member
Don't give them the reason to take another fish from the ocean. Support the retailers that care about the animals.

Absolutely. And in this economy, always support the small local business that does right, not the big box profiteer that doesn't care.

Phreek

lol man, would you buy a bus if these people told you to? do whatever you want, its your tank, your life, and your money. Just know the risks involved. I personally wouldn't purchase fish from petco, but thats just my opinion. But like I said, do whatever YOU want to do.

Last edited:

mps9506

lol man, would you buy a bus if these people told you to? do whatever you want, its your tank, your life, and your money. Just know the risks involved. I personally wouldn't purchase from petco, but thats just my opinion. But like I said, do whatever YOU want to do.

He did ask our opinion on if to buy the fish or not...

Phreek

I know, but I think it should be based on the individual at hand, just because petco is a large chain corporation does not mean it can't or doesnt carry healthy specimens. He should evaluate the particular fish he is purchasing not the publics opinion of a company.

Phreek

well I hope that he has the common sense to know that if a store is full of dead fish to not purchase from it. but thats like saying, my safeway has bad red apples, dont buy from safeway. dude just look at the fish, if they are healthy buy em, if not dont. just do whatever makes u happy

BLAKEJOHN

Most of use here seem to have a friend or relative or even worked at petco ourselves and know that Corp. petco will not let thier store take the appropriate measure to ensure the health of thier fish. Corp. Petco really does not care if the fish die or not. There are select petcos that are lucky enough to have an employee that cares enough to take care of the fish themsevles by donations of thier own time and supplies. I think that noone should buy from petco any animal. I believe this because I know how thier system works. Petco store employees aside, Petco does not care what-so-ever of the welfare of any of thier animals.

Phreek

I'm not really going to get into a debate about the corporation, because that isnt what this thread is about. So dsmooth buy them or dont, you've seen everyones opinions on the company, and the fish. its up to you my friend.

dsmooth

Has anyone bought fish from Petco. I have been eyeing this pair of juvi Clarkii Clown Fish for the last month. priced good at less than $15.00. What are your thoughts.
I have been eyeing these two for the last month, I have not seen any poor quality Fish, but have seen a couple of bleach Nems

Jeremy0322

There will always be rules to every exception, but in my opinion even if there is a good store I would not buy from them. The simple fact of the matter is if you buy from 1 store you are supporting the "chain", and even if 10% of stores rock 90% of them sell sick fish by inexperienced employees that come from questionable living conditions. I say dont, but thats just me.

kospaintball

my maroon clown came from petco. It is the best looking, well colored maroon that i have ever seen. Its the luck of the draw just like anything else in this world.