RO/DI filter question

Varga

Is it normal that the drain is going all the time? looks like 90% of the water is going out the drain.

house has 48psi, filter is rated 40-80 psi, is 1 gallon per hour normal?

thank you all :)

slakker

It depends on the RO membrane rating... but RO is typically very "wasteful"... it uses quick a few gallons before makign a single gallon on RO. But it shouldn't run 24/7. It may take a few hours, but once the reserve tank is full, it should stop...

Varga

I don't have a reserve tank, Trying to fill up a 100 gallon Rubbermaid.
so I'm looking at a month before it fills up????!!!!

what if i put a restrictor on the drain?

Varga

the whole unit says it requres a 40-80 psi to oporate.
model: rd-102 6-stage 100GPD single output

BobBursek

There should be a build in restrictor on the waste, what unit is it, how gpd unit, is it new or have you had id fo awhile, most units have a 4-1gal ratio, most ro membranes are rated for 65psi at ro inlet at 70*, so if your house water presure is what you ssay, plus preasure lose in the prefilters and less then 70* you are running more like 8-10-1 rejection rate.

Varga

holly crap, it says the ratio of purified water to drain water is 1:3!!!!

does that mean 3 part waste and one part purified water?

HowardW

the whole unit says it requres a 40-80 psi to oporate.
model: rd-102 6-stage 100GPD single output

Is this by chance a unit you got on Ebay?? In general, a 100gpd membrane is not the best choice because they are not RO membranes at all but rather a nano filter and will have a lower rejection rate than a standard 50 or 75gpd Dow Filmtec membrane which will give a 96-98% rejection rate. Many of the units sold on Ebay come with some off brand membrane rather than the industry standard for our hobby which are the Filmtecs or the GE DESAL. In any case, your system should produce about a 4-1 ratio of wastewater for every gallon of RO/DI water. It's also normal for the system to continue making waterwater for a little while after you shut off the RO or DI line.

Varga

yup, from ebay. But alot of folks on here recommended it. and my LFS sells the exact same thing for $299.

do Permeate Pumps do what they say they will do??

BobBursek

Yes 3gal waste for 1gal ro/di, under the optimal water temp usually rated at 70* and at 65psi going into the ro, not house preasure, which I stated earlier your prefilters drop that preasure. You can get a booster pump, about $100.00 to supply the unit aaat about 80psi. Welcome to the money pit of all hobbies!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

HowardW

<<< yup, from ebay. But alot of folks on here recommended it. >>>

Well like most everything, you get what you pay for, and most of the units on Ebay are cheap for a good reason regardless of what anyone told you.......they typically come with a less efficient off brand membrane, off brand and cheaper pre-filters, and a less efficient and short lived horizontal DI stage.

Do you have a good TDS meter, test your tap and RO and DI TDS. If you plan on using this unit for your tank I would recommend getting a Filmtec membrane and adding a full size DI stage or two (if not already equipped).

Varga

This sure sucks :(
I thought my 100g Rubbermaid would be filled and running by tomorrow!!!!

BobBursek

First thing all Forums should have stickies "DO NOT BUY ON EBAY"!!!!!!!!! The cost of an RO unit is the membrane!!!!!!! So you got a cheap one!!!!! The good 100gpd RO is 90% and the rest goes to the DI to clean out, shortens the life of the DI, 75gpd or less RO gets 97-98% out the DI only has to deal with that and last longer. Sorry but live and learn as we all have and ask here or Reef Central .com first.

Varga

I did ask here!! several people said they had this very same unit from ebay and they were happy with it!!

BobBursek

I am saying this in a nice happy way, when readind threads and post look at the sender, there are some that know there stuff, example Chems, Boomer, Provo, Bertroni, Randy Holmes-Farly, RO/Di stuff Boomer, AJ the DerertRat, the rest is opinions and yes, what has worked for them, these guys you can give your first born to!!!!! ANd when you post a thread it is okay to call them out for an answer it or PM it, I know Randy does not answer PM's got too many,

Last edited by a moderator:

Varga

thanks. which filter should i buy now?

ebay seller agrees to refund+shipping both ways!!!

any suggestions on a good filter ?

BobBursek

Go to the Sponsor Forum, talk to Jim at TheFilterguys.biz all the info and great customer service you could ever want, and great prices.