Alternate Circulation Pumps

Improvize

So I found myself last night contemplating shutting down my 4 circulation pumps in favour of, for example, two MP40s.

I'm going to be replacing the skimmer with the NYOS Quantum 160 and using a bigger RODI reservoir too so I find the number one question after such thoughts is "why not buy a reefer to start with?" Well, I got the Max 650 LED so cheap and it was only 4 months old. Fully stocked with a chiller and a full RODI setup, plus load of other reefing extras (test kits etc) I got the lot. In AUD terms, I paid $5,000 for around $12,000 - $15,000 worth of setup. The same lights on a Reefer would be $2,500 AUD and the tank would be $4,000 AUD.

So to come back to my idea re circulation, to shut down the four circulation pumps means the water level in the DT drops. I haven't quite worked out why that happens TBH but nevertheless, it does. If I want to shut them down and use alternate circulation options, what would I need to do regarding water level? Why does it drop? How do I stop it dropping? Or do I simply top it up?

Why am I thinking of doing this? I can't control the flow speed. I can't have intermittent flow. and I can't have flow across the tank left to right.

What do people think?

Pat24601

So I found myself last night contemplating shutting down my 4 circulation pumps in favour of, for example, two MP40s.

I'm going to be replacing the skimmer with the NYOS Quantum 160 and using a bigger RODI reservoir too so I find the number one question after such thoughts is "why not buy a reefer to start with?" Well, I got the Max 650 LED so cheap and it was only 4 months old. Fully stocked with a chiller and a full RODI setup, plus load of other reefing extras (test kits etc) I got the lot. In AUD terms, I paid $5,000 for around $12,000 - $15,000 worth of setup. The same lights on a Reefer would be $2,500 AUD and the tank would be $4,000 AUD.

So to come back to my idea re circulation, to shut down the four circulation pumps means the water level in the DT drops. I haven't quite worked out why that happens TBH but nevertheless, it does. If I want to shut them down and use alternate circulation options, what would I need to do regarding water level? Why does it drop? How do I stop it dropping? Or do I simply top it up?

Why am I thinking of doing this? I can't control the flow speed. I can't have intermittent flow. and I can't have flow across the tank left to right.

What do people think?

Great question. I'm actually not sure why it happens either, but you are right it does. On the C-250 those pumps are also important for filtration. So, I never really consudered shutting them off. I just added wavemakers like MP40s on top of it.

Maybe the filtration isn't a factor on the 650. I don't have that tank so I don't know. On the C-250 I was always ok with the circulation pumps running alongside a wavemaker though.

Not sure this helps.

DaveK

So I found myself last night contemplating shutting down my 4 circulation pumps in favour of, for example, two MP40s. ...

I would say that this would make the circulation better, but not that much better. The big advantage is that the MP40 can generate a lot more random flow.

I would say only upgrade the circulation if everything else is up to what you want. It's likely you can spend the money in other areas, and get more "bang for the buck".

Pat24601

What filtration are they going through? Mine are just water circulation pumps.

On the C-250 the circulation pumps also force the water to go back through the skimmer and media rack. May not be the same way at all on the 650. Sounds like it isn't.

BTW, I'd love to get a 650. Provably my next tank in 3 years. LOL

Improvize

Ahhhhhhhhhhh of course. The 250 "sump" is on the rear. 650 sump is below. Of course.

Regarding circulation, I don't really like needing 4 pumps to do the job of two. Especially when the 4 pumps I have can't be controlled or directed exactly where I want them. I get the bang for buck comment though.

And anyone have anything on the whole water level thing? I want to know why the level drops with the pumps off. I get that there's some volume of water on the pump and return but not as much as the water level drops by. And if want to leave them off what do I do about the water level?

Cparisi

Ahhhhhhhhhhh of course. The 250 "sump" is on the rear. 650 sump is below. Of course.

Regarding circulation, I don't really like needing 4 pumps to do the job of two. Especially when the 4 pumps I have can't be controlled or directed exactly where I want them. I get the bang for buck comment though.

And anyone have anything on the whole water level thing? I want to know why the level drops with the pumps off. I get that there's some volume of water on the pump and return but not as much as the water level drops by. And if want to leave them off what do I do about the water level?

What was your conclusion? Looking to do this exact same thing and finding no answers online. I’d think plugging the holes in the back would change the water level to the desired height

emvanburen

Imagine the pumps are off and only the return pump is running. The tank water level is at a height that causes the return volume to go through the weir and down the drain.

Now you turn on the 4 pumps. They eject a volume of water from the back to the display. That water also will go back through the weir but since the flow rate is now higher there is more resistance to overcome and the new steady state water level will be commensurately higher. That’s my take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mdk16

I know this is an old thread and I’ve not been on this site for years but am contemplating doing something similar. I’m currently running three of the rear pumps as one died. Rather than replacing with the c-250, I was considering:
1. Adding two mp40’s or
2. Putting a larger circulation pump in the rear chamber and making a manifold to run 2 if not all 4 rear jets off of one pump. If I could find a pump that fits (maybe a mag9) spilt 4 ways, would reduce initial cost, Maintance and heat?

any thoughts?

Pancho75

I just did the manifold option in my S-500 using a Sicce SDC 9.0 flow is great and using its reef crest mode however it is noisy.

Mdk16

00F6B4D4-8E54-43F3-AD77-3C6C7897F77B.jpeg Finished my manifold for our s650 after getting inspired by Pancho. I’m very happy with the build. Quiet, easy maintenance, less heat and less energy with consistent flow.