Saltwater in a Brute

srkd

Hi All,

I have two brute containers, one for RODI and the other for salt water. I have stored salt water for more than a week and when i opened the lid there is some smell. Is it still ok to use this saltwater? do i need to keep the water moving when it's being stored?

DaveK

I would discard the water clean the container, and mix a new batch.

The water might be ok, but then again it might not. It all comes down to risking your reef system to save a few dollars in salt. It's not worth it.

srkd

Ok, I wonder anyone else experienced this? I will try to mix saltwater 2 days ahead of the water change and no earlier than that.

cracker

Yes srkd, I use brute cans as well, If I leave the water in there too long, I get a film on the sides of the can and it can look cloudy, If you can smell it ,something is growing in the water. Want to store it for a while? Keep it covered and moving with a power head or such.

AirWaterIce

RS Sponsor
Water is a solvent at typical tds levels...say 250 ppm...RODI water should be zero ppm tds...RODI water is corrosive because it is so pure it is trying to balance itself out by stripping & corroding metal, pulling the surface away from your brute container, pulling carbon dioxide out of the air...etc... I would not wait longer than 24 hours if it were me...PS~ always seal your brute container...

www.airwaterice.com
Email: sales@airwaterice.com
772-461-0256
home of the h2o guru

cracker

I agree with Air, Good advice I always thought rodi water was very reactive. It " wants" to absorb stuff !
I have around a 300 gl system and go thru a lot of fresh top off water. I don't like to fill my top off can. just enough for 3 or 4 days maybe.
Thank's Skrd, I haven't cleaned it out in a while. This thread reminded me to do so !

ChitownRomeo

I also have a thread on here about the new brutes. No matter how long I rinse and soak or rinse and soak it always smelled like cat piss when i mixed saltwater overnight lol. It wasn't until I used 4 gallons of white distilled vinegar and 2 gallons of water and let it sit overnight then a good scrubbing and rinsing until the smell stopped. I called brute and they informed me that they are coated with a non stick spray film during production. I learned this the hard way.

srkd

Thanks for all the great info. Fortunately, I don't have any corals in my tank right now but i will use fresh saltwater for a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

I also have a thread on here about the new brutes. No matter how long I rinse and soak or rinse and soak it always smelled like cat piss when i mixed saltwater overnight lol. It wasn't until I used 4 gallons of white distilled vinegar and 2 gallons of water and let it sit overnight then a good scrubbing and rinsing until the smell stopped. I called brute and they informed me that they are coated with a non stick spray film during production. I learned this the hard way.

This is good advice. Those containers like Brute trash cans should be seasoned before use to make sure you don't get and residue.

I usually use bleach which I find works very well. Fill the container with tap water, add couple of cups of bleach, mix and let stand overnight. Rinse with tap water, fill again and let it stand another day. Repeat until you can no longer smell bleach. You can add something like Seachem Prime to neutralize the chlorine bleach, but it's not really needed.