zoo eating nudibranches

blenny

hey folks, just thought i'd share some experiences i've had w/ the little pests. they've claimed one of my colonies unbeknownst to me until it was too late, but ever since i've been pretty vigilant about removing them when i find them.

in any case, if you have or propagate zoanthids, take a few minutes every few days to look CLOSELY at all your colonies. if an otherwise healthy looking colony is all open except for a couple of polyps, check their bases for nudibranches. oftentimes, they'll just look like polyp tentacles, but clumped together... from what i can tell, they can assume colors similar to your zoanthids, but it'll be obvious that they don't belong if you look closely.

some of these i've managed to pull out in the tank w/ tweezers, but it's pretty hard to do w/ my prop setup. if you have to take the zoanthids out of the tank to remove the nudibranch, make sure to work at a table w/ good, strong light. if you lose track of where the nudibranch was, it should've turned a darker, brown/purple/black color than what it was in the tank. usually it'll look like a clump of dark tissue at the base between two or more polyps, but probe around w/ tweezers. they'll be very soft and very different in consistency and texture compared to the zoanthid mat.

well, i hope that info helps, and my apologies if someone's already posted something similar. take it easy, folks.

blenny

i just removed a few today, but i was too eager to get them out that i didn't take pictures. however, mane3215 has a couple pictures that give you general idea of what shape pest to look for. they'll usually only be a few millimeters long, but there are definitely bigger ones.

mane3215's photo gallery

ReefLady

Staff member
Great info.

I'll just add, if you find more than a few, you may want to treat the tank with Sailfert's Flatworm Exit. This seems to nuke 'em real good. :guns:

My problem was so bad I had to remove all the zo's, do a freshwater dip, then a dip in a mix of Lugol's Iodine and Flatworm exit (2 drops/gal of flatworm exit). This did the trick, a couple more popped up after that, I treated the tank with flatworm exit and bye bye nudis.

Nudi death recipe compliments of Logicalreef. :)

T.

blenny

thanks for the extra info, travis.

yeah, i've had to use flatworm exit for flatworms, but i still see the occasional nudibranch.

as for using flatworm exit for flatworms, you'd probably agree w/ me on this one travis... i recommend treating the tank w/ an overdose, and then treating the tank again in a week after your tank has recovered. the first dose will most likely not get rid of them all, but the second one does a pretty good mop-up job.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
When I eventually purchase zoo's, I'll be very careful to inspect them for nudis! Thanks for the info!

ReefLady

Staff member
Originally posted by blenny
thanks for the extra info, travis.

yeah, i've had to use flatworm exit for flatworms, but i still see the occasional nudibranch.

as for using flatworm exit for flatworms, you'd probably agree w/ me on this one travis... i recommend treating the tank w/ an overdose, and then treating the tank again in a week after your tank has recovered. the first dose will most likely not get rid of them all, but the second one does a pretty good mop-up job.

Very very much agreed. :)

I started with light doses and wound up with "six-million-dollar" flatowrms with immunity to the stuff.

blenny

it's like a fruit fly experiment! i had friends who left their kitchen trashed all the time, which brought in a trickle of fruit flies. after weeks of just swatting at them (yet, oddly enough, not being more dutiful about taking out the trash), they were swearing to me that the flies were faster and more resistent to swatting....super flies.

ANYWAYS, quick question for your travis...you mentioned using the flatworm exit on the nudibranches... does it noticeably work on those guys or just sorta send them into hiding or remission or whatever... i spotted a few more today and thought it might be worth the effort to treat the tank since i still have some left from the last time.

ReefLady

Staff member
anyone have a pic of off one of these?

177bastage_copy-med.jpg

Here's the page the pic is on in the photo gallery:

>zoo eating nudi!<

HTH,

ScottT1980

FWIW, I think I just introduced a few of these guys into my tank with a new colony I bought. I will definitly think about he flatworm eXit here in the next couple of days...

We will see what happens...

Take er easy
Scott t.

ScottT1980

You now the snails that are clam parasites? Any evidence that they are detrimental to zoanthids. I am rapidly losing a new colony as I am only down to about 10 polyps (from say 30) and the only potentially harmful thing I have seen near them are a couple of these snails. I dipped in FW Exit yesterday, didn't see any nudis, and lost mosr polyps last night.

Any help?

Thanks
Scott T.