Zak's RSM250

kyley

Oh, that Blue Jaw looks nice! But, at up to 12" it gets too big for me to consider for my tank (though a couple places said 9" in captivity)... Thanks Terry,
--Kyle

zak786

Hi Kyle and Reefmack :)

Yes its a Sargassum and he's a beauty :) They are sometimes very shy and retiring hiding behind rockwork as soon as you appear to look at the tank so choose carefully because some are great characters if you do go the Sargassum route....Mine is a like a little puppy...always on display and so far so good with the corals....

He's my fave...

Its considered reef safe along with the bluethroat/bluejaw and crosshatch.... Crosshatch and Goldback are megabucks though :)

He may outgrow my tank at some stage but is fine for now....

Z

Kyle - based on Zak's sig, and from what I remember, he has a Sargassum Trigger. One of the ones often considered reef safe...........

Sargassum Triggerfish - Xanthichthys ringens

Zak - please confirm. :)

tnwillia

Zak... let us know what you think of the monitors. I have the Salinity and love it but have looked more than once at the others, looking for first have report when you get a chance... THanks!

zak786

I think Salinity is the best of the bunch...the pH one took ages to calibrate... The nitrate one is good too but expensive...

Zak... let us know what you think of the monitors. I have the Salinity and love it but have looked more than once at the others, looking for first have report when you get a chance... THanks!

zak786

Just got the MP40w Gen 2 the other day...fitted it and its good flow...maybe too good........ Some of the corals and fish seem a bit disturbed. the leather is not looking happy and also one of the white star polyps have stopped coming out. Only got it set to about half speed and set to green for constant flow....worked out night mode and feeding mode too.

Is this normal ?

What else can I do ?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Try Reef Crest - the ups and downs might give the fish and corals a break on the low current sections of Reef Crest - it's also more natural than a constant flow and constant flow defeats the purpose of having a Vortech.

zak786

Oh some good news...finally seen he end of the pink cotton candy algae...those mexican turbo snails are the business :) Bulldozers for sure but effective.

zak786

Thanks Terry and good point on the constant flow mode :) ....

Try Reef Crest - the ups and downs might give the fish and corals a break on the low current sections of Reef Crest - it's also more natural than a constant flow and constant flow defeats the purpose of having a Vortech.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Zak! Speed will depend on the pump location with respect to corals and coral types, and every tank is different. You could try the 50% you're at now. I run Reef Crest at 100% with my MP20 in my 130. You'll have to judge by watching the reaction of the corals over a day or two.