Zak's RSM250

zak786

Hi all thought I would add my pics up here too....

So had this for 7 weeks now...still got too much hair algae i think...Phosphates and nitrites and ammonia all zero and using rowaphos too...

so here are some pics

P1000840_1.jpg

P1000834.jpg

P1000835.jpg

P1000836.jpg

P1000851.jpg

P1000843.jpg

zak786

Re: My RSM 250 after 7 weeks...

So last week I bought the leather coral and the dark brown mushroom one ...The picture does not do it justice its fully extended now and quite hapy. I forgotten its name now but was told its a leather variant type...any help in naming it?

Also got some red legged hermits and some blue knuckled hermits too along with 2 fireshrimps. All settled in happily. Not sure why but the hermits seem to love sitting and resting on the leather coral when I initially placed it in but since I moved the coral to lower flow are it is much hapier ...moody thing ;)

The shrimps are feeding and seem happy but both shed their skins after 2 days in the tank. Is it stress or normal growth u think? I left the skin in the tank as I heard it wouldnt do any damage by my LFS.

Bought 1 x anthelia and 1 x green star polyp thing..forgotten its correct name too...any help ?

And also a coral beauty. The coral beauty seems happy and I am trying to feed it new era pellets i have but the damn shrimps are too quick for it. What to do ? The coral beauty is nibbling at the hair algae on the back glass though and the algae on the rocks too ? It doesnt seem to like the new era pellets as it takes it in and spits it out ? Is it happy eating algae off rocks and the haie algae ?

I am going to add 2 x percula clowns (the real ones) ...

zak786

Thanks for the comments ...too much algae though yes ? Why do my rocks always look dusty and have sand on them ??? Should I take it off ?

Any other comments good or bad (as long as constructive) would be welcome :)

Its my first reef was a previous Fish only kinda guy :D.....

So I am basically not as experienced as many of you here...

Thanks

zak786

Also forget to mention I have an extra Koralia on the top left and a Maxijet pump at the bottom for extra flow..is it overkill ? And I have an Arcadia chiller in there too...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

zak786 - tank looking good, the coral beauty is very pretty! Most of us went through the green angel hair stage, I remember when I did, I though bummer, I wanted a pretty tank with no algae like everyone else & now I have green algae hair... but everyone told me it was a stage & it was... about a month latter it was all gone... though I do give some credit to my Emerald crab - my Emerald crab was one angel hair eating dude, shoveling with both claws non-stop around the clock :) best of luck & thanks for sharing the pics ! be encouraged the algae just a phase of establishing a new tank :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

regarding the dust on rocks... buy a turkey baster & right before your week water changes, blow everything off & then add white/blue finer filter for two hours - hope this helps !
745.gif

zak786

nanoreefing4fun thanks for the comments..its funny I was just looking at someone else's tanks thinking mine looks :( :( ...

I hope it will go soon...my tank is 7 weeks old is it still new ? Or do I have another prob ?

I will go and steal the wife's turkey baster now :D

zak786

Just out of interest if I left the dust on the live rock would it kill offf the live rock ?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

all normal... about exactly as mine progressed... in fact the algae is eating up & using up the bad stuff in the substrate all fine... if you want to help some... add two Emerald crabs & watch how much you feed & for a week, you could cut back lights to 5 hours a day... but for now... week 7.... I would say... stay the course... just watch what you are feeding... only feed fish once a day and only what they can eat in two minutes & before it falls to bottom... all is good - be encouraged... you will soon have a beautiful tank with no Angle hair... might add Emeralds too... all normal - imo

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Just out of interest if I left the dust on the live rock would it kill off the live rock ?

I am not sure... others will have to help answer... but I don't think it's good for it... I always feel like when I blow off mine it's helping...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi Zak - nice to see you start a tank thread! Leather corals are indeed "moody" and will often "sleep" for days, then shed a transparent skin, pop out their polyps & look new. I've always had shrimp shed their skin within a day or two of going in the tank - normal & nothing to worry about. They'll do it every once in a while.

On the "dust" on the rocks, if you're doing water changes now, try to siphon some off. Or use a turkey baster to blow it off, or brush if off with a toothbrush. It'll be messy so be sure you have a filter pad in for a day or two to remove it from the water. It won't kill the rock, but it plugs up the pores and doesn't help, and that sediment is a great base for algae to grow on - it's like algae soil.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

oh I forgot - I've always had shrimp shed their skin within a day or two of going in the tank - normal & nothing to worry about. They'll do it every once in a while.

+1

zak786

Thanks all for your invaluable comments ...this forum is the best !

I am worried about the coral beauty not feeding too well... I saw her feed in the LFS before buying....

We are feeding New Era pellets it has a nibble but them lets it sink...is it getting its food off the overgrown algae in the tank ?

Should I be worried ? She has been in there for just 3 days....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

zak - one more tip that will help... your carbon is about two months old now... replace it with Carbon and Phosphate Remover (GFO)

I use Chemi-Pure Elite (in states I highly recommend it) being you are in the UK, there are several other good brand names with carbon & Granular Ferric Oxide

Someone help out here & post a good one Zak can get in the UK

zak786

Thanks again nanoreefing4fun

I have Rowaphos in there for the last 10 days actually which is a phosphate remover been told its really good ? You guys have this in the US ?

Do I need to get rid of my Carbon now and replace it or just leave it out all together ?

zak - one more tip that will help... your carbon is about two months old now... replace it with Carbon and Phosphate Remover (GFO)

I use Chemi-Pure Elite (in states I highly recommend it) being you are in the UK, there are several other good brand names with carbon & Granular Ferric Oxide

Someone help out here & post a good one Zak can get in the UK

websurfer

Zak,

I have had my tank a little over 7 weeks now
I had a kole tang that was taking care of my algae
So good i really did not know i had so much until he went crazy and i had to remove him
Once i did this i got blasted with the algae
What i did was pick up 2 more emeralds and a sally light foot

Man in the past 2 days i have had them
They have done some work on the algae

I would get some of them for sure

zak786

ok good point websurfer...

I will get a couple of Mithrax I think tomorrow.... thanks

What do you mean he went crazy I was thnking about getting one ?

Is it a bad idea ?

Zak,

I have had my tank a little over 7 weeks now
I had a kole tang that was taking care of my algae
So good i really did not know i had so much until he went crazy and i had to remove him
Once i did this i got blasted with the algae
What i did was pick up 2 more emeralds and a sally light foot

Man in the past 2 days i have had them
They have done some work on the algae

I would get some of them for sure

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Rowaphos is a good one... keep the carbon in for sure !!!

In fact I would say replace it every two months. Use both !