Your favorite LFS

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Since a good LFS is difficult to find sometimes I figured maybe it would be a good Idea to share with other members what is your favorite LFS and why ? Do they Quaratine their livestock ? Do they have any frag tanks ? Do they carry captive bred/raised fish ? Do they carry a good variety of quality products ? Are their prices reasonable ? etc.

We have members from all over the Country and the World and I think it would be beneficial to all to share your experiences.

I will share mine tomorrow and hope we can all participate :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hummmm.... i have 3 i take frags to. My favorite is the one that gives me the most $ for my frags :D They sell lots of different types of frags that local people trade in, have tank raised clowns, and decent pricing on supplies.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Fish World, Durham (15 min drive)
Aquatic Concepts, Durham (15 min drive)
Aquarium Center, Kernersville (1 hr drive - one way)

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
My fav is The Fish Bowl in Longwood, FL. Mainly because the owner is just an all around good guy who backs everything he sells. I am re-working his website so he also gives me tons of perks. Check out his shop photos here.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well I have 3 LFS' that I frequent And by far the best is:

CORAL REEF AQUARIUM
1464 FALL RIVER AVENUE, SEEKONK, MA 02771
Phone: (508) 336-0904

It's the best LFS in my area. All of their fish are Q and he will keep the fish for a minimum of a week and will NOT sell them unless they're ready and eating well. He runs copper and UV in the FO tanks. He has several Frag tanks with a great selection especially SPS corals. He has reasonable prices on dry goods but his fish price is a bit high but worth it IMO because he holds them until it's time. He also breeds Clownfish is very knowledgeable and conscientious but Jeremy is a no nonsense kind of guy and won't take any BS.

I also frequent:

ANIMAL INSTINCTS
811 PLYMOUTH AVE, FALL RIVER, MA 02721
Phone: (508) 673-6755

They get a great selection of fish that you don't normaly find in the hobby and their fish prices are some of the best, unfortunately they don't Q their fish and although that have a large UV setup in their FO tanks but they sell the fish as quickly as they get them, wether or not they're eating or ready, many times selling severely stressed fish. AFA corals it's disgraceful, they regularly get Gonioporas and Elegance Corals and they're Coral tank is not well kept at all.
But again they do get some great specimens occasionally and at a great price so I do shop there but not a place I would recommend especially to a beginner since their primary concern is making $$$.

I also shop occassionally at:

RUMFORD PET CENTER
865 WARREN AVENUE, EAST PROVIDENCE, RI 02914
Phone: (401) 434-8545

Since James took over he has really changed the place great selection of Corals and an incredible display tank he also has a good selection of fish but doesn't Q and although they run Copper in their FO tank they sell their fish as quickly as they get them they don't hold them for any period of time AFA I know. They are way overpriced particularly on dry goods. They also have a knowledgeable staff.

Sharkbait

Let's see in AZ, I go to: About the Reef-326 S. Price Rd. Tempe (480)966.3880
This is my favorite due to their coral selection.Frags, colonies, and even propegation. I will say I am bias, my close friend is the salesman, perks I guess. They have amazing fish, I don't think they quarantine stock unless it is sick or not eating.(this does not bother me much, I've never lost a single fish from them)U.V. and copper in FO systems.The shop also has a full acrylic facility, building customs like I do, and a drygoods warehouse. They just got into thier new store about 6-7 months and I will say I'm impressed with what they do.The best SPS- Acans.

My only other would be Aquatouch 1735 N 32 St. Phoenix(602)765.9058
These guys are biologists, very good to know. They do Q everything and are very eco friendly!!!! They are not as great on the coral selection ,but seem to be wanting to correct it lately.When it comes to special ordering, I primarily use these guys. Very consistant.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Allright so far we have a few good LFS that we can recommend I would like to make a list so that our members can use as a reference.

CORAL REEF AQUARIUM
1464 FALL RIVER AVENUE, SEEKONK, MA 02771

The Fish Bowl in Longwood, FL

About the Reef-326 S. Price Rd. Tempe

Aquatouch 1735 N 32 St. Phoenix

Doni which of the three would you consider the best ?

There's got to be some more great LFS' guys MDP in his speech at IMAC said there's probably under 100 good ones I don't believe that....Come on guys prove him wrong !!

dobejazz

There are many LFS in my area (chicago)
There are 2 that I really like
Sho Tank Aquariums in Mundelein, IL
Mostly a 1 man operation But Matt is very knowledgable and nice He just moved to a bigger location so he is still setting up but lots of frags and all his fish seem very healthy and happy. Plus Dennis from Sharkeys Reef said he was a good guy!!
and
Oceans Floor in Lake in The Hills, IL It's a new store just opened 3 months ago but lots of frag tanks a 950 gallon display tank cycling very friendly and helpful owner.

proud2bcanadian

The best one in my area has to be Oakville Reef Gallery in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
All of the Canadian members will know what I'm talking about!
These guys are great! They know everything there is to know about reefs.
You can check out their website at : http://www.oakvillereefgallery.com/

Another store that's great out here is Reef Raft. They just opened up in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. You can check them out here : http://www.reefraft.ca/
The owner is a great guy, but I haven't been able to get to the store yet.