Yosemite National Park 4/08

BoomerD

Let's try this again...I posted this last night...and the RS server apparently crashed.

We live in Modesto, Kahleeforneeya, about 100 miles from YNP, and try to make the trip at least once a year. Spring is definitely the best time to go, because the waterfalls are running full-stream...
aam.sized.jpg

That's Bridal Veil falls from a few miles out. We were stopped for some road construction and I took a few pics to kill the time. I already have some nice pics of the falls, so I didn't drive up to the better vantage point.

aah.sized.jpg

That one (I think) is Yosemite Falls. ( I have a hard time remembering which ones are which...bad case of CRS!)

Here's Yosemite's famed El Capitan. Rising 3000 feet from the valley floor, it's the largest piece of granite monolith in the world.

aaf.sized.jpg

It's deceiving. It doesn't LOOK that tall...if you look carefully at the right side of the pic, you'll see a red circle.
From a different vantage point, I took this pic:
aal.sized.jpg

In this shot, there are 2 red circles on the left. (the first red circle is to give you perspective.)
(Here's a link to the larger version where you can actually see the people...the pic was taken at 8X zoom, the most my camera has to offer)
http://www.whodah.com/albums/album15/aal.jpg
Seeing how tiny a couple of 6 foot tall men look against the 3000 foot rock gives it perspective.

Next is Yosemite's Half Dome:
aai.sized.jpg

Which rises about 5000 feet from the floor of the valley. Crazy people climb the face of this one too, plus they have a 12 hour hike that will take you around the back and up to the top via a difficult hike that has cables for support as you walk up. (people die every year as they fall of the back side)

Lastly, I leave you with this parting shot to make you feel (slightly) better about your gas prices:

aak.sized.jpg

Taken in the small town of El Portal, just a few miles outside the gates of Yosemite...

dfurbee

Beautiful pics!! Have been there about 6-7 years ago, very nice place.
YIKES!!! Wonder when gas prices will be that high here.

rlcline76

I could have sworn I saw that gas station on CNN yesterday.

You know BoomerD, you are making me jealous with all of those water shots. I have no real water to look at around here.

BoomerD

I could have sworn I saw that gas station on CNN yesterday.

You know BoomerD, you are making me jealous with all of those water shots. I have no real water to look at around here.
Here' how's this for a water shot:
aaq.sized.jpg

(taken from the lanai of the Maui timeshare this past December)

corrado007

Looks like it's time to get back up to Yosemite. I've been thinking about making a trip up during spring. Hmmm, are all the camp sites booked this time of year?

vdituri

Amazing pics Boomer!

Looking at the gas prices I'm going to need to sell a kidney to go visit. sheesh.:bs:

BoomerD

Amazing pics Boomer!

Looking at the gas prices I'm going to need to sell a kidney to go visit. sheesh.:bs:

Buy gas in one of the towns in the valley instead of up in the hills and you'll pay $1.00/gallon less.

Corrado, the campsites looked pretty full, but not totally so.

boozeman

Boomer, I am so green...first Hawaii and now this !!!
pictures are breathtaking, you are blessed..... but the cost of gas wtf :scram:

SJS

Thank you - it's been a few years since I've been up there. Yosemite is really beautiful. We used to camp up there when I was a kid - that was when they let you have a fire in your campsite!! Last time I was there, no campfires - I know it's for the good of the park, but nothing like toasting marshmellows over a real fire!!

kathywithbirds

Awesome shots Boomer. I think I'll stay on the ground, thanks. My daredevil days of trying to climb or tunnel under things are over. They got an elevator there, right?

BoomerD

Campfires are still permitted in the park except during times of high fire danger. From the NPS Yosemite website:
"In Yosemite Valley, campfires are permitted only between 5 pm and 10 pm between May 1 and October 1. At other times of the year and in out-of-Valley campgrounds, fires are permitted at any time. Fires must always be attended and put out completely with water when not attended (do not let them smolder). Firewood collection (including pine cones and pine needles) is not permitted in Yosemite Valley; you can purchase firewood at stores near the campgrounds."

Kathy, I WISH there were elevators...and motorized pathways...so much of the park is closed to me since I became disabled...but...whatcha gonna do...nature isn't handicapped friendly. ;)

BoomerD

heh-heh, well, the dramamine worked...kind of. He didn't get sick until we got to the top of the windy road that takes you from about 2000 feet to 5000 feet...then he was fine for the rest of the trip...until we went back down a different windy road...when he puked again...in all, MUCH better than we had expected.
Our other dog is a road-dog...he LOVES going places in the car/truck. The little one, (the puker) loves going, but gets sick. We're hoping to acclimate him so that he no longer gets carsick, so we can take him on a real road trip. We're due for another extended vacation, and don't want to leave him behind. (he gets all "butt-hurt" if we take the one but not him on a trip to the store.)

Here's the little one...who gets sick:

aan.sized.jpg

and our road-warrior:

aao.sized.jpg

(see him smiling?)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
That looks like Gator bait. They don't have Gators in Yosemite, just so you know :D

BoomerD

That looks like Gator bait. They don't have Gators in Yosemite, just so you know :D

No, but dey do gots bears...:D

The only problem is that the little dogs run faster than me...:( so I'd have to waste perfectly good rope for that to work...and rope costs money)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
:lol:

Yesemtie is one of the few lower 48 parks I have not been to YET. I'm a National Parks freak. My favorite is Glacier.

BoomerD

wheres Yogi and Boo Boo?

Sheesh...silly Canuck...they live in Jellystone...

Evil Twin, I grew up in eastern Washington and we used to go to Glacier every other year. VERY nice. I also like Yellowstone, but it's so dammed crowded much of the year.

Woody...thanks.