Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I WANT YOUR CLAM!!!
The blue on it is rockingggg!!!
Good pick up Dom!! Looks in the prime of health too!!

Haha thanks mate :D
I have resisted the last few times my lfs has had clams but when I saw the ones he had on Friday, my jaw dropped and I just couldn't say no to such a stunning Maxima :yup:
Yeah, it's really healthy, I couldn't find any defects or anything and it loves the tank too :D It's just a matter of waiting for it to attach it's foot to the rock I have it on :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The Updated Equipment List & Plans

So as I looked at the first page of my thread I realised I don't think I ever updated the equipment listing and stocking plans as they have changed quite some since the original intentions of a 130D tank :) Here is the equipment listing as it stands and the few things I'm planning and such!
The tank was planned to be an RSM 130D but due to a few unforeseen things it is now a CADE HL600.

Equipment List: (As it stands)
- RLSS R6i protein skimmer
- Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
- 2x Tunze 6045 flow pumps
- Eheim Compact 2000+
- Sera 300w heater
- Illumagic LED lighting
- 32x 3W CREE LED's consisting of warm white, cool white, blue, royal blue, UV and violet LED's​

Equipment: (To get)
- Kamoer 3-channel Dosing Pump
- Potentially a media reactor but I don't feel there's need for one yet

The Plan:
Corals:
This is definitely an sps dominated tank and I wouldn't want it any other way! I love everything about an sps coral from the way it grows to the harmony of the polyps and the zooxanthellae, the chemistry that they have as part of everyday life, I enjoy the challenge of keeping a healthy tank for proper growth and colours and the colours and growth patterns and formation of the corals themselves are something to truly be desire :) Lots and lots of Acropora sp. from milli's to echinata to some lovely other piece I can't identify exactly :) A few plating monti's, my favourite being an insanely green plate :D
The tank also includes a lovely metallic blue chalice and a small zoa garden and some nicely coloured morphs, I would love to add a small ric garden as I find them quite attractive! I have one torch and an acan and there are presently no real plans to add any further lps corals as the warfare is something I wish to completely avoid in the tank!
Inverts:
Snails and no hermit crabs for cuc, one Strombus, a turbo, two trochus and about 4-5 mini "turbo's" make up the cuc with a few little micro brittle stars. A clam, a lovely beautiful clam is the only other invert in the tank and that is all the inverts I wish for the tank :)
Livestock:
The livestock of my fishy friends is rather small as I keep sps and would hate to overburden the tank. As it stands the fish are a Flame Hawkfish, Royal Gramma, Yellow Tail Pygmy Angelfish and a Black Barred Convict Goby. I still have my eyes very strongly set on a pair of mandarins (not sure which species exactly though yet), they won't come till the new year though if I do decide to go down that path.

As my tank becomes a more serious testament to my passion for this hobby and reefing I become a more dedicated care-taker of my wonderful animals. This involves doing a 10% wc every week without fail and making sure parameters are matching, everyday I check the corals and fish to look for any signs of unhappiness and check all my equipment is working. I clean the skimmer cup and wipe the neck out when necessary and generally obsess over the tank a lot :p
I will soon be starting a dosing regiment of (most likely) Red Sea Foundation ABC+ after I do about a week or two of testing parameters everyday to determine the systems requirements and depletions. I am currently dosing Brightwell KoralColour every second day and I am already seeing some great colour results in my corals :D Everyone is happy and healthy and so I really cannot complain about my reef :)
My little slice of the ocean keeps me going and helps me relax every day :)

clairebear

Just curious on your thoughts on Steve's LEDs, since you ended up with the Illumagics. Did you order the standard configuration (blue/white) from Steve or did you get other colours as well?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Claire :) Fish are doing really well :)
If I were to go back and do Steve's again I might throw in some purple/UV as I think they bring something extra to the table and it helps bring out colours a little more as they will cause the corals to create a little more pigment for protection which is what coral colouration is based around :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah it's quite a tough one, I would highly recommend going blues and white like the standard kit unless you want to do a little more research into it :)

STUNNING clam mate, wish I could find one like that.

Tok

Thanks mate :D She's a real beauty, adds such life and vibrance to the tank and I love it and it's happy so I'm over the moon :) might be doing a rescape though to try and get her up a little higher though but undecided on the matter yet :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Serious $$ is definitely right :p I just couldn't say no though, such amazing clams :D still very happy in the tank :)

Got some more zoas coming in soon and will hopefully be getting my doser cheap from someone on the forums down under :D A 3-channel Kamoer doser :)

Naj117

Serious $$ is definitely right :p I just couldn't say no though, such amazing clams :D still very happy in the tank :)

Got some more zoas coming in soon and will hopefully be getting my doser cheap from someone on the forums down under :D A 3-channel Kamoer doser :)

Wrangy mate how are ya?

You seem to be quite cottoned on, quick question I bought a aqua medic reefdoser triple today but haven't got the foggiest on how or were to attach the thing, any suggestions.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wrangy mate how are ya?

You seem to be quite cottoned on, quick question I bought a aqua medic reefdoser triple today but haven't got the foggiest on how or were to attach the thing, any suggestions.

Aside from having exams at the moment and not being able to do much buying for the tank :p I'm doing excellent! :) how about you mate?

I'm glad you think so :p nice little doser there though :) it depends on how you want to do it, your best bet would be keeping it in the cabinet underneath as it'll be tidy and a good spot for your dosing containers as well. Installing a small shelf in one side of the cabinet and having the doser on that with the containers directly below it would be how I would mount it in there or you could mount it to the roof of the cabinet but that would be a little trickier. What were your thoughts on the matter so I can get a better idea of how you'd like to have it mounted :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Got some wonderful new corals today :D
All-sorted zoa's from a fellow reefer
Some sps frags he threw in for free for me as well :D Really nice pieces!
A beautiful hot pink pocillopora :) Happy and polyps extended already!!
A small rock with two lovely little rics :dance: Nothing special in terms of colours but I love the way they look so I'm stoked!!

I'll upload some photo's tomorrow night of everything :yup:
Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekends :D

Naj117

Got some wonderful new corals today :D
All-sorted zoa's from a fellow reefer
Some sps frags he threw in for free for me as well :D Really nice pieces!
A beautiful hot pink pocillopora :) Happy and polyps extended already!!
A small rock with two lovely little rics :dance: Nothing special in terms of colours but I love the way they look so I'm stoked!!

I'll upload some photo's tomorrow night of everything :yup:
Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekends :D

Nice one! I'm getting ants in the pants syndrome again and wanting more corals and my LFS has got a gorgeous Lionfish and Bicolour Angel. On top of that I want a mandarin. Wish I bought the 650!!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice one! I'm getting ants in the pants syndrome again and wanting more corals and my LFS has got a gorgeous Lionfish and Bicolour Angel. On top of that I want a mandarin. Wish I bought the 650!!!

Don't worry mate we all know that feeling!! It's especially bad when you know what you want to reside in your tank and you see the most beautiful specimen of it but can't get it haha. I love Lionfish!! :D one of my favourites! Mandarins are deceptively beautiful with their care-requirements but not impossible :) I know my last additions for the tank are going to be a pair of manadrin's or red scooter blennies but that's still in the planning :yup:

I'll be getting a larger tank down the line but that's once I have my own home and space to work with :D

As my new tank shots upload, I went out to a dinner last night and it was for the launch of a brand new cookbook and I got to get an autograhed copy and a photo with the man himself, Gabriel Gaté!! :D :yup: I was SO excited!! I live and breathe food, and I work in a kitchen so it's as much as part of my life as reefing is so last night was huge for me :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
New Corals!!

So as I mentioned yesterday I got some really nice new corals from a fellow reefer and I may have bought one more from my LFS while I was getting water :p but here they are. I have finally used photoshop, so the colours are a very good representation of the true colours without be super over the top crappy nonsense :) Hope y'all enjoy! :)

NEW ZOA'S :D All frags from another reefer who gave me so much from what he had lying around including some nice sps frags :yup:
The garden plus acan :)

Green and golds and deep pink at the front :D

Allsorted shot:

Really really nice red skirted with speckled green centres :)

Red and gold:

The sps frags :yup: can't get enough of them :) Dosing regiment will be starting soon once the testing and monitoring phase is complete to determine the extent of it :)

While at my lfs I bought some really nice ric's because I really do love the way they look! No crazy colours just really fascinating corals :)

I got to rics, both really small but really nice :)

The other coral I bought was one I have been waiting to add to the tank and that's an pocillopora damicornis I love these corals!

Two new shots of the growth and colouring on my favourite coral as milli's are my favurite sps corals! My pink with green growth milli :D

And just to finish everything off a new FTS:

I will most likely take some more shots under normal lighting tomorrow and of my VERY happy clam too :D

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice additions Dom! I have a pocillopora damicornis and love it as well, just a great coral!