Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Kevin :D I'm really happy because they're all like that and really starting to colour up :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Off to the lfs I go, what is in store no one knows :p Hopefully I come back with a few new wonderful goodies :yup: And a fish or two!! :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My wallet is already cowering haha Hopefully my lfs has some blennies as that's the next addition I really want to make or a dwarf angel as I feel I'm ready to try again :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My lfs trip went exceptionally well :yup: One of my favourites so far!

My intentions were to look for a new Coral Beauty and potentially a blenny and see what corals he had and what took my fancy and it has turned out a little bit different :p but I'm stoked! :dance:

My lfs had 3-4 really nice Coral Beauty's and I had picked the one I wanted out but was still perusing the aisles and what else was there and I cam to a busy little tank at one end and as I was watching the little tangs, clown gobies and mandarins a little guy swam right up to the front of the tank excitedly to say hello and was darting around right in front of me and continually swimming up and around and I fell in love with the little guy :p So I didn't end up buy a Coral Beauty but I now have a Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish and he is the most amazing little guy! Jet black with a yellow underbelly and bright BRIGHT blue tips on all of his fins on his underside and his tail :D
Well looking for my blenny addition I stumbled across an amazing guy that I simply couldn't say no to and that was a Convict Goby and he is absolutely incredible :) The colouration of black and white vertical strips is stunning :) That was my day in the fish department :p two new small fish to the tank for a total of 4 now, I'll be holding off for a while now as I wan to add a pair of manadrins or twin spot gobies to the tank so that's going to take a while but I'm a patient man :)

Coral-wise all of the stock my lfs had was colonies and I don't want to be adding any really large sps yet until my current lot has really grown in. I did find some frags he was selling and to my absolute surprise there was a browned out Millepora Acropora which is the one coral I've been truly waiting to add to the tank and now I have one :D Truly a glorious day! Not sure what colouring I'm going to end up with but I'm not fussed either way I'm so excited to finally have a milli!! Only been in the tank about an hour and I'm already getting some reasonable polyp extension :dance:

All-in-all it has been a bloody good day and I'm overjoyed with my new additions, will take lots of new pics tonight after my wc when the tank is looking it's best ;) Hope everyone enjoys the weekend ahead!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Black Barred Convict Goby to be exact as to the Goby I got :) Little angel is so awesome just darting around and picking at the rocks :) Convict has gone into hiding but it's only natural so I look forward to seeing some glimpses of him!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
New Inhabitants :D

Okay so they might be a day late but here are the photos of my new friends :yup:

My new Black Barred Convict Goby, spend most of yesterday hiding and today but is now out and about in the tank :D And hungrily gobbled down some vitamin enriched frozen mysis shrimp tonight :dance: Absolutely love this little and I'm so stoked that my lfs had him :)

My first Millepora Acropora :D Possibly my favourite species of coral and my lfs was selling frags so I was able to finally get one!!! Don't want to add a huge colony which he always has

No colouration on it at the moment and that was another reason why I got it because I like the surprise of slowly watching the colours develop :p Not super happy at the moment but really good PE considering it was added yesterday so I'm happy :)

Really nice plating monti (bright green with red polyps) has been moved to final spot off the frag rack :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Greg and Glenn :D Really happy with my new friends, hard to get a pic of the angel though because it's still a little shy and VERY quick :p

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks mate, he's still a little shy but eating plenty which is good! Both frozen and flake preparations so I'm not complaining :D
The angel is yet to feed when I feed the tank but it's fat and happy with all the food available around the tank and spends it's time actively grazing the LR, such a joy to watch as it's always busy :yup:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
With some hesitance and a heavy heart I make this update :(
It looks like Marine Ich may be present in the tank. This was a huge blow to my day when I got home this afternoon! Now at the moment it's only one or two spots on the pygmy angel and my royal gramma, the hawk and goby have no signs at all of it so I'm going to give it two days before I decided to move everyone though. I've got a couple of black sponges in the tank to establish a bio-filter medium and I've got my old 2ft tank out with heater and the skimmer that I bought for the 130D (Glad it's coming in handy!!) I'm going to be doing a water change tonight and I'll be using the crappy water to half fill the tank (so that a bacteria medium is already present) and I'll be using new sw to fill it up the rest of the way. It's going to be a long 8 wks if it is Ich but I'm not risking anyone so I'll be running hyposalinity to ensure that it is killed. I love my animals and I want them to survive so I'll be going to every length I can to keep everyone alive while there's pretty much a very minimal infection.

In some slightly brighter news, in the last week or two I have had some excellent coral growth and everyone is looking fantastic so I'm going to be staying positive and I WILL beat this if it is Ich (80% sure though)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've read all of Lee's articles too, so I feel confident I can manage this :) just not sure if I want to add sand to the QT (I want the fish to feel at home amongst the pvc piping :p) and if I should be running a skimmer or carbon. Going the hyposalinity route with 4 fish in a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft tank so I'm thinking I'll need a little more than just a bio-foam filter.
As a bare minimum setup it will be:
- Flouro tubes for lights
- Foam internal box filter as bio-filter
- Either CPE or skimmer as an additional piece of filtration
- PVC tubing as makeshift caves for the fish
- Sand for looks and the comfort of the fish (But I'm thinking against it)
- Standard heater for the tank and manual top off once a night

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So sorry to hear Dom, being you have read Lee's post, you have a good plan to defeat it, one that will work.

Just enjoy & work on your lovely corals, the weeks will past pretty fast.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Really helpful reading all his articles and my many books, so I have my plan now just to get the fish out, which might be the tricky bit haha
I love my corals as much as my fish so at least I have plenty to still sit and watch for 8 wks :) aside from my sad little fishies

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good luck! I know you'll beat it.

steve

Thanks mate :) I feel confident about it knowing what I'm doing, I went into a state of chaotic panic when I found it. Went to the gym (knew I couldn't do anything and needed to calm down) cleared my head and came up with my action plan :)