Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Coralife

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gdwats2

I have been bouncing back and forth between salt mixes and have decided this is a bad idea. Lately, I have used Oceanic because it is cheap and dissolves fast. I have since read on Melevs Reef that he had some troubles with it. I bought a 50gal make up of Red Sea mix yesterday (recomended by lfs) I later searched these forums for "salt mix". It seemed folks were not too thrilled w/Red Sea either. The old stanby Instant Ocean is used by more people than I thought, and I have yet to hear bad words about it. I think this will be my new salt mix...again. I am going to try to include a poll in this thread to see how many folks use which salt and trust the numbers. What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Greg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You can't go wrong with IO. With that being said, I use Oceanic and am very happy with it. As with any salt, check all new batches for ca, alk, ph and mag just to get to know them and adjust accordingly.

Gina

RS STAFF
We use IO and have been pleased with it. We haven't had any major problems. On occassion we do have to adjust our Calcuim.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I voted for other, Tropic Marine. I have tried IO (Ok) & Red Sea (didn't like it) but for some reason my corals really responded to the TM. I had smaller & less frequent algae problems and the the coloration of the corals was dramaticly improved.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I switched to IO from Oceanic because of the extremely high levels of Calcium and Magnesium combined with low alk when mixed to S=35. Supplementing calcium, IMO, is easier than trying to deal with skewed levels. All salts have weaknesses, so use what works best in your situation. Here is a calculator that helps when trying to supplement: Reef Chemistry Calculator

forestal

I have been using crystal seas...but am looking to switch to IO, due to high Ca, and low alk...plus other vaguer reasons :)

Sharkbait

I use Catalina water, it's natural sea water thats been purified. It's delivered to my store,convient,and all my inverts seem to love it.I've seen studies done on salt mixes and companies like catalina. Each has advantages and disadvantages, Naturals had a lot more minute trace elements within them. Thats what made up my mind overall.Good luck!

Witfull

i wouldnt use the new jersey sludge and toxic NSW :) but maybe the corals would glow without actinics :lol:

TROPIC MARIN..... TROPIC MARIN.... Its the best. I noticed the difference after my first water change with it. Its just "clearer" i know that sounds crazy but just try it and tell me, the next day, that your tank dosnt look "clearer" than it does with your regular salt.

strat

i used crystal sea i bought a couple of years ago when i had my first tank in mexico. and it may have sat at that store for awhile. i just put it in my tank of RO water and its pretty cloudy a couple of hours later. so i will wait till the morning to see what it looks like. i may have to chuck it and start over, good thing theres no LR in there, yikes.

Brucey

I used to use coralife as my LFS used to buy it in bulk and use in their own systems and so i used to get it very cheep. However, i have since switched to IO and am much happier with it's effects on my SPS's. Wouldn't gp back now but might try Kent Marine one day but it's a little expensive over here
Brucey

corvettephreek

i used instant ocean, seems like everyone here on the west coast in Cali uses it as well. recommended by everyone except one person. (he said I could use it as well :) )

KimPossible

I use IO. My LFS is trying to sell me on Crystal Sea. I've heard mainly good things here on RS about IO so I think I'll just stay where I'm at.

BoomerD

NONE of the salt mixes is perfect, in spite of all the hype, they each have their weak points. The most common recommendation is to find a salt mix that is readily available to you that you like, and work with it's failings.
Oceanic tends to be super high in calcium and magnesium, but very low in Alkalinity buffers. IO tends to be low on calcium and mag, but high on alkalinity. Some have tried a 50/50 mix of the 2, and even 2/3 IO and 1/3 Oceanic, and vice versa, trying for that "perfect mix" that requires the least amount of tweaking and additives.
I've used IO for about 20 years with no problems, and will probably do so. I'm hearing and reading lots of good things about Tropic Marin's new "Pro" salt, and MAY eventually try it IF it becomes available locally.