Where to buy new tank?

jaws789832

Hi all,
Looking to purchase a 120 gallon tank in the states. Seems locally all I can find is Marineland. Not that they are bad tanks but was looking for more options, like starfire glass and pre-drilled overflows. when I do an online search glasscages is all that comes up (well petsmart and things like that comes up as well), but I know there has to be other options so I can compare. Looking for customizing with options, reliable shipping, and to be able to get a decent price. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Snid

Heh... Maybe give a general location of where you live in the States? Montana is far different from Ohio which is far different from New York. ;)

For example... Where I live, I think there are 4 LFS that specialize only in aquarium based products, and maybe about a dozen hybrids (fish, cats, dogs, bunnies, birds, etc...) All of which have a variety of aquarium choices. All within 20 miles. Then, if I go about an hour to an hour and a half away drive time, I hit many, many more. I'm in central Ohio myself, with Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, and other minor cities all packed with dozens of pet options not so far away. This doesn't even include some of the places that do custom designs really. If there was a really good deal, Pittsburg or Indianapolis could also be viable options for me.

Some of the major chain stores in my region are Petco, Petland, Jack's Aquarium, and Petsmart, all of which I'd avoid for any livestock. There is a Fishy Business nearby as well, which is great for corals, but they don't really have tanks. Aquarium Adventure is a place with many, many options with regards to tanks and everything else, but I am cautious about livestock with them as they are owned by Petland and their prices can be pretty high on non-living items.

I always see great deals on Craigslist where I am at, but smaller cities around me have barely anything on CL, like where my In-Laws live. However, they live close enough that they could search majors cities in CL and find deals on things that way.

It really all depends on where you are and how far you can go and what you have for transportation. ;)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi there. If you want a custom tank there are a lot of places around. Glass cages had a bad rep years ago and have gotten better from what I've heard but I have no direct experience. Most companies ship to you or a freight depot and build time is 6 week minimum in most cases.

I had my 120 built by miracles out if Toronto. Very happy with it and it is similar to what you've described. Check out my tank thread below.

DaveK

I was more thinking online, but I live close to ABQ New Mexico...

Generally you'll want to buy your tank from a LFS. The cost of shipping from an online source is usually enough to put the price up way beyond the LFS price.

However, sometims online is your best source for all in one systems. So shop around.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Reef Savvy out of Florida is great. Cadlights makes good ones as well as SC aquariums.

Choff

If I ever go custom, reef savvy would be my choice. I have not done a lot of research, but met the guys last year at macna and their tanks were awesome. I'm a big fan of bean animal overflows which they use, but call them ghost overflows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaws789832

thanks for the info. SC looks about right for what I am looking for. You guys are a great help, at least now I have some options to choose from

Steve L

Don't forget to look at Craigslist.org. Many times you can find new and like new tanks for a fraction of what they cost through a retailer, and you can often work a deal to have it delivered. Albuquerque is a big city and there should be plenty of tanks for sale in your size range that you can customize however you like.