Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I'm with you Curt but not in a reef tank :D

Attachments

• img20.jpg
    img20.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 60

Maxx

Nice pic Boomer. I'm on the fence with Mantis shrimps...I got zapped as a kid in Hawaii...so I'm a little leary of them, but I can admit they are fascinating critters.
Nick

Boomer

Nice pic Boomer

Yes, but not mine:D It is one of those "Travis" like pics I got off a website. I use to have one of these years ago in a 10 gal tank.

I got zapped

I can imagine it hurts like H_ll :lol: But just think what it would be like to get nailed buy 14 inch Manty (yes, that big):cry1:

Boomer

Why it's that always the most beautiful creatures are the most dangerous to be around?

Thanks VD, I will take that as a compliment :lol:

Maxx

Nice Zoo's Robert!
BTW, I'm still waiting for that Elegence to bud off a couple of polyps......
Nick

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Actually the Elegance isn't doing as well as it once was in my other tank, just isn't growing or thriving.:(

64Ivy

Not sure what it is but I've never seen another exactly like it.

Lil-Blue-Frag-4.jpg

Maxx

Robert,
Do you think the light change from your previous PCs to the new 250 watt MH could the issue? I've been told Elegence corals really dont like the intensity of heavy MH's....
64Ivy,
thats beautiful! A. elegens maybe or A.jacquelineae.
Where did you get it from?
Nick

Brucey

Well, I bought this coral 2 years ago now . . . . and it was my first attempt at keeping a SPS. It was a 1" frag when I bought it. The total length of all the branches now must be over 3ft. It's just grown and grown and grown. I nealry lost it 7 months ago when I got rid of my bio-balls and had a Nitrite spike and get a case of RTN at the bottom. tankgirl helped me out and I stuck a PH on my front glass pointing at it's base and it stopped the tissue recession. Now it's 6" tall, approx 8" wide and is a gorgeous blue with polps out ALL day
Brucey

Attachments

• sps mix 4.jpg
    sps mix 4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 44

64Ivy

Originally posted by Maxx
64Ivy,
thats beautiful! A. elegens maybe or A.jacquelineae.
Where did you get it from?
Nick

A LFS a couple years back. They had the parent colony in their display tank and I'd been begging for a frag for quite some time. Then one day one of their employees screwed something up and pretty much crashed the entire tank. One of the owners called me in a panic and now begged ME to take a frag as there wasn't much left. It is, by far, the slowest grower I have; maybe an inch in height in the two years I've had it. It has gotten much thicker in terms of girth however and has put down a huge base so I assume it's content.

Maxx

Brucey, I love Millepora's! I plan on having a few of those. Glad yours made it through the recession. How did the powerhead pointed at the base stop the tissue loss?
64Ivy,
Two Years!! Wow...that is a slow steady grower. Almost sounds like what I've heard of the Oregon Blue Tort growth rates. I wonder how old the parent colony was? Where is it located in your tank? high flow area or lower?
Nick

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Do you think the light change from your previous PCs to the new 250 watt MH could the issue?

I think it's a combination of higher light and lower nutrient levels.

Here's a pic of it about a year and a half ago in my tank:

7329108_0885.JPG

Here's a pic of it about a few weeks ago:

7329127_2741-med.JPG

Maxx

Well the tissue does seem to be less inflated. Could it be that the coral was "panning" for light before and doesnt need to now? What are you feeding it?
Nick

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well that's probably another part of the problem, I never target feed the coral just what I give the fish and cyclopeeze every now and then and now even if I try to feed it it won't hold onto the food.

Maxx

I'm thinking mysis shrimp or brine shrimp soaked in selcon for feeding the elegence....I know 64Ivy used to have one awhile back...maybe he can share what he used to feed.
Nick

64Ivy

Originally posted by Maxx
64Ivy,
Two Years!! Wow...that is a slow steady grower. Almost sounds like what I've heard of the Oregon Blue Tort growth rates. I wonder how old the parent colony was? Where is it located in your tank? high flow area or lower?
Nick

I have it in a high light, high (but random) flow area. As I recall, the parent colony was about 5" in height and rather 'bushy'. It wasn't quite as teal blue as this one. I do not recall the LFS's lighting specs but it DID recieve several hours of natural sunlight every day as the tank was in their front window,

As for the Elegence Coral, I haven't had one in several years and I haven't SUCCESSFULLY maintained one since my old wet/dry filtered "mini-reef" back in the early 90s. I'm a believer that this coral may prefer a much more nutrient rich enviorment than we're providing them today. Back then, I fed my Elegance nothing but an occasional piece of silversides and it thrived for years. Of course, I had no 'SPS' then and my nitrates and phosphates were probably 1 part per dozen.... :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I had no 'SPS' then and my nitrates and phosphates were probably 1 part per dozen....

Pretty much the same situation with me. In my old tank my nitrates were never below 20ppm now in my new setup they've never been above 2ppm.

Gina

RS STAFF
I have a couple of favorites. The big problem is getting a good enough picture to show them. Kodak easy share here.
Probably my favorite creature in the tank would be the fire shrimp but, this Pom-Pom ranks pretty high on the list also. I love watching it pulse.

Last edited: