Whats your flow, yo?

BigJay

You need to figure out actual water volume though to be acurate. Especially in the nanos. Like after I added DSB, rock and livestock my 14 only held about 8. If I was calculating off 14 I'd only come up with a figure about half of actual.

michael_cb_125

I agree.
I am lucky. In my tank I only have about 25 pound of LR and No sand. So I have very little "water-space" lost.
~michael

CATALYST

So I would be at about 35x. I didn't account for rocks and what not very well. I divided by 25...24 gal pod with 5 gal fuge.

Snelly40

i have a 90 gallon display and a 30 gallon sump. I have about 120lbs of live rock.
By the time my return pump get back it flows 600 gph into the display, but its rated at 780gph.
I also have a closed loop which is at 1000gph
I have a Koralia 3 (850gph) & 4 (1200gph).
without taking the rocks in this is 3650gph total which is about 30 times, if i guestimate the rocks and say this is 100gallons total then im at 36times

Octoman

55 display with:
2 mj1200s - 295 x2 - 590
1 mj600 - 160
1 mj600 mod - 1400
return pump - 500

Total 2650gph / 55g = 48x , but I have hydor flos on the MJ12's so it's probably a little less

sandyc

You need to figure out actual water volume though to be acurate. Especially in the nanos. Like after I added DSB, rock and livestock my 14 only held about 8. If I was calculating off 14 I'd only come up with a figure about half of actual.

OHHHH.... If I take rocks into consideration then I am up to 37gph. :doh: That's a little better but I think I could still up it a bit.

JT101

lets see what the norm is for turnover.

i have an 18 gallon tank, no sump.

currently i am running 2 Nano Korillas, a rio 90, and a HOB Typhoon skimmer.

thats 240+240+90+290=860GPH

860/18 =47.7777777

so i gots 47X turnover per hour in my lil tanky wank.

HOW BOUT YOU?:hallo:

I have a MaxiJet 1200 in the L/H back chamber of my AP24 (took out the stock pump well over a year ago) and two Koralia Nanos in opposite corners of the tank.

So, that’s (1x MaxiJet 1200 @ 295gph) + (2 x Koralia Nano @ 240gph) =

295 + 240 + 240

= 775gph

If I take my AP24 rated at 24 gallons but take into account about 25% volume loss due to LR, sand, corals etc I get 18 estimated volume.

So, my 18 gallons is turning over 43.05 times per hour.

JT101

Wait a minute...

If I replace my Koralia Nanos (240gph) with Koralia 1's (400gph) I then increase my turnover from 43.05x per hour to 60x per hour.

Is this too much for an AquaPod 24?

BigJay

Depends. As long as your not silting the tank I'd say not. Its harder to use creative scaping in a smaller tank.

rmlevasseur

"Take it up as high as you can go without pushing your substrate into suspension and I think your tank will be better for it. Of course thats just my personal opinion."

I really want that to be true, but my LPS just can't handle it, no matter how I scape. I have 4 powerheads in my 180. I'd like to have them all on at once but my LPS just won't open fully that way. So I run two on and alternate the other two for a minute every 10 minutes on a wavemaker.

blue_eyes53813

Lets see. I hope i have these #'s correct.
Return pumps reeflo baracuda 4500 g/h
2 new maxijet PH with the mods @ 1200 g/h each
tunze 6101 PH @ 2000 g/h ???? not ran wide open..
1 seio 1100 Ph @ 1100 g/h

4500+1200+1200+2000+1100 = 10,000 / 300 gallon water volume = 33.33333

That seems high though.......

BigJay

"Take it up as high as you can go without pushing your substrate into suspension and I think your tank will be better for it. Of course thats just my personal opinion."

I really want that to be true, but my LPS just can't handle it, no matter how I scape. I have 4 powerheads in my 180. I'd like to have them all on at once but my LPS just won't open fully that way. So I run two on and alternate the other two for a minute every 10 minutes on a wavemaker.

How direct is your flow? I mean do you have it hitting something before the corals? All my outputs are aimed up, in line with the glass or at the opposite wall. All the flow that comes down is being bounced so it has time to disperse.

rmlevasseur

I've tried it all Jay. Believe me, I love flow too, but I adjust my tank on how the animals look and respond and not the numbers. Best thing to do, imo, is keep upping the circulation until you see you animals close up a little. That is the best way to determine the correct amount of flow. Forget the numbers. Naturally different specimens want different amounts of flow, so somewhere you have to compromise. But thinking LPS want or need as much as SPS is gonna result in closed up LPS.

BigJay

I guess. My duncan is getting the most direct flow out of my whole tank and hes open like hes gonna rip out of his skin. I've got a 90 with 4500 GPH. The tenticles on my eagle eyes look like they will be removed at any second with the flow and they are more open then ever. Matter of factly with each consecutive addition of flow the more open they got. Some corals closed up for a while(half a day or so) till they got used to it. My candy canes are non-reactive to it. My one duncan and xenia didn't like getting pounded as much so I moved them underneath the powerheads and returns so they only get the flow coming back.
I will note when I had power heads on opposing sides things weren't as pretty the currents were just crashing too hard together and my corals didn't like it. I also had more dead spots that way.
But its your tank and you know it better then anyone. Go with what works for you.