Whats your flow, yo?

BEELZEBOB

lets see what the norm is for turnover.

i have an 18 gallon tank, no sump.

currently i am running 2 Nano Korillas, a rio 90, and a HOB Typhoon skimmer.

thats 240+240+90+290=860GPH

860/18 =47.7777777

so i gots 47X turnover per hour in my lil tanky wank.

HOW BOUT YOU?:hallo:

BigJay

4500g in a 90 (about 75 total subtracting live rock and 15 in the sump). So right at 50x per hour but I wouldn't mind a little more I still haven't removed all the dead spots.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with Jay.. I want more..

90g tank (75 usable) 29g Sump (25 usable) 12 Fuge (10 usable)

110g total water

2x Koralia #4's (1,200 gph each) 2400gph
Mag-18 (1800gph with head loss down to 1300) 1300gph

3700gph at 110g = 33.6x turn over... I'd like to get close to 50 - 60x if possible.

michael_cb_125

In my Elos I have the stock return eheim pump.(634 gph), and an Echo-tech Vortec on max. power (3000 gph).
So I am at 3634 gph. which is 66X per hour. And I am actually considering getting another Vortech, which I would run at full power, synced with my current powerhead.
I would then be at 120X per hour. :)
~Michael

michael_cb_125

It is so funny to see how fish react to flow. Corals are not the only ones to benefit from flow. When I turn my vortec down, the fish just hover, they actually look bored. When The pumps are all at 100% (which they always are) my fish seem so much happier. They "surf" the current. My regal will sneak in beside the vortech. Then she will swim directly in front of it, and try as hard as she can to stay in place. All of my fish love current.
~Michael

BigJay

funny that you say that Michael. My wife who knows nothing about fish, her first comment upon adding the modded maxi jet and putting it beside the Koralia #4 was how the fish are playing in it. I was like what do you mean. She said watch they swim all the way to it then jump in it and fly across the tank and do it again.I thought she was a little crazy at first but I am beginning to think there is something to that.

BigJay

definetly Koralias. THe modded maxi jet has a really nice flow but its hard to start every single time. It drives me nuts.

sambrinar

I have 2 nano Koralia (2x240), 1 filter (150gph) no sump, no skimmer in a 12.5 gal

630/12.5= 50.4 turn over, thats good, No?

BigJay

630/12.5= 50.4 turn over, thats good, No?

In all my experience yes. Some people try to reduce flow by using slower pumps for corals that don't really need or like flow. I think a much better approach is to use creative placement and scaping to cause a slow flow area. The more flow the less likely you are to get dead spots which cause detrius buildup and low oxygen. Usually the first spots you'll see cyano or nuisance algae grow.
Take it up as high as you can go without pushing your substrate into suspension and I think your tank will be better for it. Of course thats just my personal opinion.

michael_cb_125

Catalyst- First off, figure out how much total flow you have in your tank. Figure the output of your main system pump, and all of your powerheads. Then divide that by your tanks volume.
For Instance, my total water movement is 3,634 gallons per hour. My system volume (how much water my tank holds) is 55 gallons.
Divide 3634 by 55 and you get how many times your tanks water volume is turned over per hour.
~michael

michael_cb_125

Do you have a sump? If the Skimmer is in the sump, then I would not count it.
I am not sure what exactly the overflow pump is.
~michael