Whats a good test kit to get?

Heffe01

Whats the best brand of water test kit to get for saltwater and reefs? Looking for an all in one kit if possible.

new reefer 03

i think the best is salifert, but they are EXPENSIVE!!
i use A.P.I. and am pleased with it, it is easy and seems to be pretty accurate.

lcstorc

LaMotte is generally considered the best with Salifert considered a more reasonably priced but good alternative.
Above all avoid test strips and any test with just a good or bad category. You want tests with numbers. The bigger the color difference the better since it is often difficult to judge small color differences.
API are reasonably good.
For basic tests you need amonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

chipmunkofdoom2

I use API because I'm cheap.. haha. Like Lynn said, LaMotte is the best, but Salifert is a more reasonable option, but both are kind of expensive. If you have the money, go for it, but I don't think Salifert or LaMotte offer "all in one" test kits. They'd be probably over a thousand dollars if they did. If you're looking for a cheaper, somewhat accurate solution, try API. They sort of have an all in one type deal.

petarst

Whats the best brand of water test kit to get for saltwater and reefs? Looking for an all in one kit if possible.

API Master reef is very good test package.
If you want a little bit better test gor for Salifert.
BR / Petar

CaRSMDuke

I have been using API with good results.
I have now chosen to pick up a couple Salifert kits starting with the most critical. Hoping to compare results and decide if the expense makes sense.
I will post some results when I have them.

CaRSMDuke

I did a test yesterday comparing API vs Salifert on Calcium and here are the results.
I tested twice with the API kit and got two readings 580 and 620.
Tested twice with the Salifert and both times got a reading of 400.
Whether it is worth the difference is an individual decision but I know for me it will be the Salifert kits.
Happy Reefing everyone.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I did a test yesterday comparing API vs Salifert on Calcium and here are the results.
I tested twice with the API kit and got two readings 580 and 620.
Tested twice with the Salifert and both times got a reading of 400.
Whether it is worth the difference is an individual decision but I know for me it will be the Salifert kits.
Happy Reefing everyone.

How do you know which test kit is more accurate? That's a HUGE range between the two brands. ? ? ?

CaRSMDuke

From the information I have been given at 620 there should have been some evidence of super saturation in my system.
I have seen none. That coupled with the range that the API exhibited leads me to believe that the Salifert kit was right.
Possibly I am misinformed on the saturation point.

Maybe a friend with a third kit can come over and test with another brand , still the queston could remain.

Where would the ultimate authority lie?

reefmasta

I actualy use test strips for most of the usual tests, then API for calcium and couple others. ive used the liquid for a couple years and i had enough. i havent lost anything from water quality in a LONG time, all i really do is grow coral and have a couple fish but they serve as a cleaning crew basically and my tanks stay really stable. i add PH everyonce in a while from RO top offs, calcium everyday, and essentials when RO top off. also i havent done a water change in more then a year now. lol and have been very succesful.