What makes a GREAT aquascape

livebait

I think everyones idea of a perfect aqua scape will vary. I have not changed my tank's aqua scape since I set it up and love it so I guess this is what I feel a perfect aqua scape is.
IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7048.jpg

I like that. It gives a bit of depth to the tank. Very nice. Thanks for the pics!

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice! I like that quite a bit. Thanks for the images and your input. What is the software you use to make the models?

I use AutoDesk Inventor, which is $15,000 piece of software that I get for free for three years for taking a class that bought the license. I'm glad you like it and I'll post some pictures when I eventually make it!

dmatt88

photobucket-2333-1311535909385.jpg

Trying to upload new pics for an update.

I've been thru plenty since the 220 upgrade yet tank is moving along nicely.

2011-07-16_20-13-50_645.jpg

Praying this works. Matt

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Funlad3

The only thing I like about the minimalistic approach is that it's hard to get just a pile of rocks and you get to see a lot of sand.

livebait

I picked up a 75 recently and am being forced to go minimalist because of lack of funds. I only have about 35 pounds of rock to work with. It's rock from my first build to boot, so it's not the best looking stuff to say the least.

But that isn't why I'm looking for what you all think makes a great scape so please keep the thoughts coming. :)

PIMPALA

and dont get me wrong... there are some VERY nice looking ... what some would call "minimalistic" tanks out there. But just seeing a tank with 2 rocks in it, and thats it? Boring. Half of the fun in my tanks, is watching the life on, and in the rocks. Plus... there is NO way that 10lbs of rock in a 55 gallon tank could be adequate filtration. no way. i dont care how much sand there is, its not the same.

now... money issues are a different story. if you dont have the extra $$ to buy a ton of rock, thats completely understandable, and i know what its like to work on a budget.

livebait

and dont get me wrong... there are some VERY nice looking ... what some would call "minimalistic" tanks out there. But just seeing a tank with 2 rocks in it, and thats it? Boring. Half of the fun in my tanks, is watching the life on, and in the rocks. Plus... there is NO way that 10lbs of rock in a 55 gallon tank could be adequate filtration. no way. i dont care how much sand there is, its not the same.

now... money issues are a different story. if you dont have the extra $$ to buy a ton of rock, thats completely understandable, and i know what its like to work on a budget.

I know what you're sayin. Trust me I've begged and plead my case to the wife but if I want to go to MACNA, rocks just ain't happening right now. :)

PIMPALA

you should have seen my wife's face when i was lining up 180lbs of rock for my big tank... all at once. When i told her that it was going to be in the $900-1,400 range to do it with all live rock (which I did) she wouldnt take me seriously. Kept telling me that I wasnt going to convince her that people would pay over $1,000 to put some rocks into a glass box with water in it. (all of my previous tanks came with sand and rock, or were transfers). She told me that it wasnt going to happen if i was being honest.

guess who won that one. ;)

Rhodes19

Nice up date. I'm still looking for the perfect rockscape for my 180 before I start collecting corals again. I'd rather have the rockscape where I want it then add corals than having to pull all the corals out in order to re rockscape. I have enough lr but a bunch of them are big boulders. :) I might break them in halve to give me more surface area and more surfaces for corals.

livebait

you should have seen my wife's face when i was lining up 180lbs of rock for my big tank... all at once. When i told her that it was going to be in the $900-1,400 range to do it with all live rock (which I did) she wouldnt take me seriously. Kept telling me that I wasnt going to convince her that people would pay over $1,000 to put some rocks into a glass box with water in it. (all of my previous tanks came with sand and rock, or were transfers). She told me that it wasnt going to happen if i was being honest.

guess who won that one. ;)

LOL nice :)
I shouldn't even have bought this system but it was one of those deals you can't pass up. The guy couldn't sell it because it was all DIY or modified, after months he finally caved and dropped the price to $150 just to get it out of his garage. Got the stand, hood, drilled 75g AGA w/ DIY skimmer box, sump and Coralife Pro dual 150W. I've cleaned it up, added a through glass return and dumped the 15 gallon acrylic sump for 40B that I had laying around from PetCo's last $1/gallon sale.

DaveK

While we are on the subject of aquascapes, I should refer you to the nature aquarium designs by Takashi Amano. Yes, these are FW planted tanks, so it's not all related to SW aquascapes, but take a look at the very dramatic use of rocks and lighting. Also note areas of different color substrata in the same tank. Here is the link (offsite) - Nature Aquarium Photographs | AmanoTakashi.net

Obviously, your not going to be able to make an exact duplicate them in SW, but you can look to create the same feeling using rock and livestock that is available.

gimmito

76fdd6c1.jpg

Great thread guys. I agree with alot of the acessments on what makes a great aquascape. Personally, I believe the "rule of thirds" that's borrowed from photography and tried to apply it in rockscaping. I had a little tougher hurdle with my scaping due to the tanks unique shape. Although, with the help of a friend, fiberglass rods, & mortar I was able to achieve a rockscape I was happy with.

Rhodes19

Nice job Jim. The rule of thirds, would that be like having 3 pillars or 3 groupings of what ever the subject is?

gimmito

Nice job Jim. The rule of thirds, would that be like having 3 pillars or 3 groupings of what ever the subject is?

Hey Rhodes,

Rule of thirds is breaking up the tanks in thirds and placing the atolls, pillars, bommies, etc. there. Also, it's beneficial to place varying heights of the structure, so they don't look to symmetrical. For example, the atoll on the left is taller than the one on the right and is placed farther back for illusion of depth.

Rhodes19

Hey Rhodes,

Rule of thirds is breaking up the tanks in thirds and placing the atolls, pillars, bommies, etc. there. Also, it's beneficial to place varying heights of the structure, so they don't look to symmetrical. For example, the atoll on the left is taller than the one on the right and is placed farther back for illusion of depth.

Ok, cool, thanks. Oh, what is/are bommies???