What Is This Stuff??

greene394

We did a water change Sat night and this stuff is looking somewhat better. Please advise me on what it is and what I can do about it. Thanks...

The stuff on the rocks
2009_0630familytankpics20090058.jpg

2009_0630familytankpics20090048.jpg

2009_0630familytankpics20090049.jpg

We have had red slime before and this does not seem to be that. It is like bubbles also form on it, but not real bad. It does not seem to be spreading either. I have no clue. Thanks....

SeahorseBT

It is cyanobacteria AKA "red slime". You can siphon out as much as possible and then you need to find the source of it. What are your phosphates and nitrates? Are you using ro/di water? Also, if you don't have a lot of flow, that will encourage it to grow as well.

greene394

We use RODI water. We might overfeed a bit. We rinse our food in rodi water. We have plenty of flow. We just keep getting this stuff and dont know why!!!!! I am lost!!!

lowfi

hmm something is up, i would cross check your parameters with either a different test kit or at an LFS. i would suspect your phosphates are high..my 2 cents. Goodluck!

DrHank

It is definitely cyanobacteria. We all get it from time to time. My recommendation is to reduce feeding, increase flow within your tank, and get on a regiment of weekly 10% water changes for the next month. You can knock it back quickly by turning off your tank lights for 2-3 days. If your T5's are more than a year old and the problems continue, you may want to consider new tubes. Good luck.

greene394

Thanks a lot. I will do the reduce feedings. Leave light off for 3 days. Will leaving the lights off hurt my corals? We are also going to try and raise the mag as well and see if that helps. We are def gonna do the WC's. We are planning on doing 30-50% each week to see if that helps as well. What about algea sheets?? Can I still put those in there for my foxface and tang?? Thanks all for info and feedback!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Phosphates can be locked in the rock for years before coming out causing cyano to bloom. Not that that is what is happening.
Have you tested the TDS on your RO/DI recently? It just might be high and time for a filter change.
Most units are good for about 6 months depending on the local water quality in your area.
Nitrates and Phosphates can test negative when you have something like the cyano up taking them. I would say this is happening before questioning the test kit itself.
A lot of people do not like the "red test" that API has but I have found that is because it tells you the truth ;) I recommend using this kit until the readings are zero. If you can get a clear P04 reading on the API kit you are in fact 0 in P04.

DrHank

Leaving your lights off for 3-4 days should have no ill effects for your corals. Remember thought that it doesn't cure the problem, it only reduces the bacteria count. You still have to take other methods to solve the problem. I agree completely with Frankie's last post. Some very good information.