UV in reef setup ???

sebastian

i'm thinking about adding a uv to my set up.....any pros =- cons.... do you have any exp with that kind..... should it run in sump or in the tank? ... any help ...big thx

Last edited:

JoJo

I've read that they're not needed because the do the same as the marco does, but that was one persons opinion, it also said UV kill pods that may have made it through the plumbing. I dont have any experience with them & was considering one myself, just in case there was a bloom

mps9506

There are definite advantages and disadvantages to running a UV setup. First off it will help kill algal spores to help prevent the growth of algae. Second with a low enough flow rate through the UV you will kill any parasites unfortunate to pass through.
The question is what do you want/need a UV for on your tank?
I wouldn't be worried about a UV unit being detrimental to a tanks copepod population as most of what you see in the tank seems to be mostly benthic and won't be affected by the UV.
There have been quite a few threads here about UV I would suggest searching for "sterilizer" on our reef sanctuary search function. Also here is a page with some decent info.
marineandreef.com/ UV Sterilization Overview

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Investing in a UV should be after proper water filtration (skimmer, refugium, reactor, etc) and lighting has been purchased. UV when kept clean and provided with a slooow water flow, will help to clean the water of waterborne algae and parisites. Other than cost, I can not think of any cons...

For aesthetic reasons, most install the UV in the sump out of view.