urticant corals, probably a silly question

reefjeff

hi there,
it is probably a silly question :fishy: , but where can i find a list of the corals you can t touch (or at least bare hands) i know there is some that are really urticants but can t seem to find any infos on google
thanks in advance
peace
jeff

proenca

first no such thing as a silly question here ! :)

as I can remember, only two types you must have some care :

the fire corals - millepora spp. - which can sting if you touch them with your bare hands and protopalythoa which have some mucus that can pottentially lead to some nasty infections.

apart from the obvious anemones of course.

apart from these, all other corals even those that have potent stings ( catalaphylia, plerogyra, etc ) are pretty much harmless to humans - their stings are potent to other corals.

reefjeff

sorry goncalo i need to spread some reputation before giving it to ya again...lol

thanks for the fast answer, i knew about the fire coral as i read somthing on it but couldn t find any infos for the other sorts....

peace
jeff

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Euphyllia - Torch, Frogspawn, Hammer, etc. can sting a human. I've been stung a few times in the past on the back of my hand and fingers by contacting a big frogspawn that I had (I didn't wear gloves back then). At first I wasn't sure what the burning sensation and red welts on my hand were from. After noticing it a couple times after working in the tank barehanded I did some research and found it was the frogspawn. Some people have gotten more severe reactions than I did, and you can get sensitized after repeated stings, with more severe reactions later on. That's when I started wearing gloves in the tank - usually just the disposable surgical type hand gloves (rubberband around the wrist to keep water out).

If I'm moving rock I wear heavy arm length gloves. I've been stung a few times by bristleworms, and that's no fun either.

My bristleworm stings have all happened while rinsing out filter sponges with no gloves on. Now I wear the disposable hand gloves for that.

reefjeff

thanks terry,
you just converted me into buying a pair of gloves for when i rinse the sponge, dont wanna get sting by bristle worms
peace
jeff

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You should be able to get the disposable hand gloves at your pharmacy? They usually come in something like 50/box - for home care and surgical type use. I like a blue colored vinyl type that are a bit thicker than others. If you can avoid the latex ones and try to get vinyl or some other type. And if possible try to get non-powdered.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You could also use the dishwashing type gloves for rinsing the sponges, as long as you don't also do dishes with them. :) But, I avoid the reusable gloves as I'm not sure if the bristleworm spines would get stuck in them, and stick me later on.

reefjeff

i already have suregon gloves like 2 boxes blue and white non powdered both of them, but i was talking about getting the long sleeve gloves.....or the big one for dishwashing is a good idea also....will see which one to get
peace
jeff

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As mentioned the "Euphies" have a sting and some people never experience it. It really depends on your particular skin type. For some reason I get stung just walking by the tank LOL! Not really but almost!!

Of the three Euphies in my experience they have different STING potential/levels. FrogSpawn stings are the least painful/irritant to my skin. Next is Hammer and the top of my list is Torch. My torch got me last night and I didn't even see the tentacles that were next to my hand. At first I thought a Bristle had popped me then I realized where my hand was and confirmed what was happening. It's no biggie but it just burn a tad and leave small red spots on my soft skin (between fingers, bottom of arm, crotch area JUST KIDDING lol :) )

reefjeff

thanks big al for sharing your experiences....
so these 3 varieties of corals shouldn t be touched without gloves or you would get stung
peace
jeff

VP Clown

I think the zoas are the corals that are poisonous to touch, they carry a deadly poison within them called Palytoxin.
I wear disposable gloves, when I remember, when I put me hands in the tank,

Andy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I seem to touch all my coral from time to time cleaning or moving the frags & several sting/tickle get me a bit, but not to bad at all, the one that makes my fingers go numb a bit, is when I handle my red chalice, when I touch it, just like getting a numbing shot from the dentist, makes my finger tips tingle for 15 mins.
bek078.gif
Gloves are probably the smart thing to use :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - gloves are highly recommended. After repeated stings a person can get sensitized and have a severe reaction the next time.

websurfer

well that is not good
I have been picking them up and moving them around almost every day...
my turbo keeps knocking them off the rock..

I will need to buy some gloves my self...
Would this poison have an effect on me pretty quick?

I think the zoas are the corals that are poisonous to touch, they carry a deadly poison within them called Palytoxin.
I wear disposable gloves, when I remember, when I put me hands in the tank,

Andy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Would this poison have an effect on me pretty quick?

I am not advising this... but, lfs guy handles all the coral without gloves, when I bought my 1st zoa, he reached in the tank to get it & I was like ... dude put some gloves on... he LOL , said he been handling them without gloves for over 10 years daily.... so I touch them quickly & wash hands when finished... but... as I said... I am not advising this... just what I have been doing...
1183.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You won't typically get stung using your fingers - the skin is too thick. The stings usually occur on the back of the hand or the knuckles or the skin in between fingers. Or on the inside of your arm. Things like the zoa/paly toxins are usually a problem if you get them in your eyes or a cut, and there are certain species of paly that are much more toxic. The old thread on another forum on this subject no longer has the graphic pictures that were pretty gruesome to see. Good luck Glenn, but you're giving some really bad advice to people telling them to take this lightly. Some people are much more sensitive than others. I was like you once, till I got stung and bristled a few times, and now I know better. A lot of corals are no problem, but some are.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck Glenn, but you're giving some really bad advice to people telling them to take this lightly

I am not advising it be taken lightly, I just have never seen anyone use gloves.

I did add my disclaimer twice and will say... ignorance may be bliss...

It's a known fact, some corals sting, I have been diving the oceans for thirty years know this... & have always been lucky... only stung a few times & non of the stings were real bad & before I knew better, I did touch a lot of things and seldom wore diving gloves.

If we post a poll in general reef discussions, how are you going to vote?

#1 I always wear gloves
#2 I sometimes wear gloves
#3 I never wear gloves

If you answer anything but #1 you are taking it lightly.... is it better to not vote and tell ? Discussion... is better imo... I in fact may change my mind & always wear gloves.