URGENT: Feather Duster with NO Tube

Flipper

Sturgeon General
At lunchtime I got a feather duster from the lfs with no tube (basically, I got a worm and head). It looks in good condition, so the lfs just told me to take it. I'm acclimating it now. Shouild I bother putting it in the tank? It'll build a new tube for themselves? Any info, quickly(!), is appreciated! Thanks!

ReefLady

Staff member
If it can mange to avoid predators, it can build a new tube, though I'm not sure what the chances are.

The big concern is, it bailed from its tube due to stress that may wind up killing the animal anyway.

Lack of food or improper transportation/acclimation would be my guesses.

Give it a shot, it's better off in your hands than at the LFS at this point.

T

Cougra

They normally leave thier tubes because they don't like the condition they are in and are stressed.

It is possible that the worm will create a new tube, however I would be concerned the additional stress of transfering to a new tank will be hard on it.

Flipper

Sturgeon General
He's in my specimen cup getting a drip now, so I'll see how he does being moved. Any suggestions for placement?

Cougra

I would put it in the substrate near the live rock. (Shadowy location). It'll most likely more to someplace it feels safe and hopefully start rebuilding it's tube.

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Well here's the update:

The second I added him to the tank, my serpent star flew out from under the rock, wrapped himself around the worm, tore off it's head, and devoured the entire worm whole!!! All in about 40 seconds! I've never seen the serpent shove so much in its mouth at once! Well, it was a good experiment, anyhow...

wooddood

the wood dude
sorry to hear that flipper i was looking forward to a long thread about how good he was doing but thats not going to happen now.i commend you on your efferts though and again sorry. dave.

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Wow, I haven't seen anything like that since watching a National Geographic special! That serpent is a machine!!! That was Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:( I was just going to post and tell you to cover it's body (not the head) up with sand...

naughty serpent!

SaltyQueen

if you ever find yourself in the same situation, you might try covering the featherduster with an upsude down 2 liter soda bottle with the top cut off & holes poked in it. This would protect him from any predators until he could form a new tube.

one eye

A little late, but I'll share a simular experiance.
I picked out a pink feather duster at the lfs. When the guy went to bag it for me the thing withdrew into the tube so fast that it blew out the other side. They gave me the worm for free and said the same thing to me about it might be able to build a new tube. I asked if I could have the old one. When I got it home I cut the old tube about half way down and carefuly pushed the worm back in as far as I could. About half the worm was exposed by the cut . There is a pretty thick sticky mucus on the tube so I rolled it like when I was a teenager rolling a, well you know (sorry Wit). The tube actualy stayed together and the worm stayed in it. It is doing fine today and I've had it for about 6 months now.

mick77

Sorry to hear about that Flipper. It seems like those serpent stars can sense food a mile away. Everytime I give my carpet anenome a piece of fresh shimp, all three come out of the woodwork to see what's going on. They eventually make their way to the anenome, get stung, and go back to their holes. It's kind of funny because it happens every single time, and they are quick! It's seriously no later than ten seconds after my hands are in the tank that they come sprinting out of the rock work looking for the shrimp.

Cougra

Flipper, Sorry to hear about the loss of the worm. Guess we found out something from the experience anyway. Wish it could have come out better.