Tsunami hits Penang Island (My place)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Hi all,

Just wanted to share this experience with you guys. At about 9am 26/12/04 (local time) we felt a tremor lasting about 5 minutes. My wife thought it was due to my son kicking the bed got up to find the cupboards and cups shaking quite badly. I was playing golf at my local club near the hillside so I didn't feel anything.

I met up with my wife at noon and while having lunch, we found out that the cause was due to a massive quake off Sumatra, Indonesia. Thinking that the worse was over everybody went about their daily routine.

The big chaos came a bit after 1pm. Tidal waves measuring 5 to 8 metres hit the coastal areas of Penang. Worse hit areas were the popular resort beaches and as of 9am this morning the death toll has reached 53 with 30+ still unaccounted for.

This is the first major natural disaster ever to hit us as we have never had earthquakes, tidal waves and such. Everyone is a bit shell shocked and search and rescue operations are still underway. A colleague of mine who stays next to the beach has his whole house covered in mud. Even sea life such as prawns, fish were washed up to the roads.

This morning's papers had lots of pictures which were quite sad to look at. There was a picture of a dolphin washed up, a jetski on the roof of a coffeeshop (nobody knows what happened to the person on it) and lots more.

I will keep you guys posted on any new updates.

mps9506

Glad you and your loved ones are ok. I listened to some of the accounts on the news today. Sounds bad. I heard the earthquake was 8.9 or in that range, I can't imagine.
We will keep everyone in our thoughts and prayers

reefrunner

Contributing Member
This is devastaing, the last numbers I read were over 12,000 deaths attributed to this quake with 1 million left homeless.

Craig Manoukian

Way bummer dude for you, and all in the path of this destruction. My prayers, the Rosary, have all involved in mind. I hope all of the reefs were not damaged too much!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am very glad you and your family are ok! It is very sad :( Earthquakes and tsunamis must be VERY scary! No warnings at all :( I hope your extended family is ok too!

Gina

RS STAFF
Kevin,
I heard about this and saw the pictures on the news. Very sad indeed! Last I had heard there were 3,000 dead or missing. Is that correct? What a ordeal! I very happy to hear that you are ok! Keep us up to date on how things are going.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Terrible devastation ! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone there, just an overwhelming tragedy.

angnak

Very very upsetting. Very Tragic. I am glad to hear you and your family are doing okay. I read over 21,000 and this is expected to go up to 40,000+. They say diseases are also going to start setting in from the dead bodies and effect the drinking water in the area. Bodies are still being washed on shore as of this morning. I am not sure if the 40,000 is including people feared to die from diseases or just from the quake and tsunamis. Just keep everyone in your prayers guys.

ScottT1980

I know someone that was vacationing off the coast of southern India for the holidays. I hope to God they either got out of there before the madness or found some saftey. Still no word...

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks all for the kind words. There were no foreigners in the casualties list so if you have friends or relatives over here, they should be alright.

ScottT1980

angnak said:
Keep us posted Scott

She emailed and luckily was on the southwestern side of the country. I was pretty worried, but glad to hear all was well...

Take er easy
Scott T.

BoomerD

Nivek, I was glad to hear you and your family came through this unhurt. I know there are several members of this and other boards from both Penang Island, and other parts of the Indonesian archipelago. Hopefully, they will all post when they can, to let everyone know they're alright. The devastation appears to be terrible...It's hard to believe that none of the countries that got hit were part of the tsunami warning system.