They're taking over! What are these creatures?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Awesome info here everyone. Since reefjitsu seems to know so much about the worms growing on the glass i am curious about the make up of the body. Is it a shell there creating out of calcium? That is what it looks like to me. Maybe you have more incite on this type of worm.

reefjitsu

Yes, they have a calcium based tube. They are very much like mini-versions of some of the larger more familiar tube worms. For whatever reason, their tubes are almost always coiled or curved in a mini-cornicopia shape. If you look at the link I provided earlier, it shows a picture of some of the large species. You can see alot more of the detail of their tubes. If you have a magnifier glass and a worm in a good postion for viewing, you can see their tiny little dusters poking out sometimes.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Frank

And yes it is made of calcium

Spirorbis is a genus of very small (2-5mm) Polychaete worms, usually with a white coiled shell. They lives in the lower littoral and sublittoral zones on the rocky shore. Spirorbis worms usually live attached to seaweeds, but some species live directly on the rock.

spirorbisbig.jpg

Your Sponges = Scypha sponges, an example

Scypha ciliata - Marine Life Encyclopedia

scypha.jpg