The MANTIS Shrimp Club!

goldenmean

Re: Whos Gots A Mantis???

He is in my new 55g set up.
I have more LR coming from TBS so there could be more.
You can see some poor pics if you check out my gallery (click "view gallery" link on the left)
plus I will be adding him to my tank's chronicle thread at A 55g link in the golden chain

BEELZEBOB

CALLING ON ALL MODS!!!!

LES MAKE THIS THE OFFICIAL MANTIS SHRIMP CLUB THREAD!!!!
(CAN Y'ALL CHANGE THE TITLE??)

I WANT ALL OF THE LUCKY CHOSEN FEW WHO HARBOR GODS MOST EFFECTIVE AND PERFECT LIL' DEADLY KILLERS TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCES HERE IN THIS THREAD!!!

ALL OF THOSE WHOM COME SEEKING KNOWLEDGE OF THESE LIL MONSTERS TO SEEK HERE!!!!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, I WOULD LIKE THIS THREAD TO SERVE AS A WAY TO PREVENT THE NEEDLESS AND CRUEL IRRADICATION OF THESE BEAUTIFUL CREATURES BY FELLOW HOBBIEST WHO SIMPLY LACK THE KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR TRUE BEAUTY AND INTRUGUE.....

THIS IS GONNA BE SWEET!!!
583px-Thumbs_up_by_Wakalani.jpg

vdituri

Hope that is what mine grows up to be like.
I'll try to sneak a pic of him tonight. He loves scallops.
Although I haven't seen any snails since I added him.
I think he took out my hitchhiker crab in the first 10 minutes.
He crawled into a rock and snap snap snap he took over the rock.

I also got mine in TBS live rock. Hes about the same size, but green. I believe hes a 'smasher' still hasn't left his cave much. I'm going to try feeding again tonight, see if i cant get a photo.

He's in a 5gal octagon refugium - lr, ls, cheto, mangroves. mantis paradise.

Wish I got one of these!

h_californiensis4.jpg

kathywithbirds

So Bob you need a banner now. Do you have a closeup of Bane's face? That'd be cool. Or a drawing. Will Bane be the mascot?

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor

That is a one good looking mantis. I have seen them that size on my bi-monthly trips to LA

vdituri

Hey Bob, let me know if you want a sketch. Something with knives for arms? lol

I tried to get a pic of Caesar Agustus, but he's a little scared of assasination right now. He's still fairly small and I kind of moved his house once he settled in. I moved him front and center so I could keep an eye on him.

Attachments

• Caesar Agustus.jpg
    Caesar Agustus.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 101

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

Victor, is this pounder in your reef? That's so cool. I wish that I would have kept mine.

vdituri

He is in my original 30 gallon. I kept it going after the transfer of all the inhabitants to the 55.
He lives with all the hitchhikers, chaeto and 3 damsels. He's only been in there 1 week. Can't wait till he can't fit inside the rocks. Then I get to see him more.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

He'll always fit inside the rock. They excavate the rock to make their burrow bigger. You'll hear him clicking and pulverizing the rock and then you'll see him sweeping out the dust!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

I think Disney should put a mantis character in their next Finding Nemo movie!:lol:

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor

He'll always fit inside the rock. They excavate the rock to make their burrow bigger. You'll hear him clicking and pulverizing the rock and then you'll see him sweeping out the dust!

Or that noise will be him snapping @ the tank trying to fight himself :)

vdituri

I he excavate all he wants, but at some point he is going to pulverize the roof right out from under himself. The rock isn't big enough for him when he gets full size.:smirk:

wonderloss

I have always wanted a mantis, but I am going to wait until I get my 75 gallon setup before I try to get a setup for one of these guys. Everything I have read about them makes them sound awesome, and Bob's vids made me want one even more.

Other than getting them as a hitchhiker, how easy are they to get?

BEELZEBOB

wonderloss, somewhere in this thread i have posted a species list created by the spectical knows as Dr. Roy (stomatopodiatrist)

read up. get an idea of what your getting yerself into, and go for it.
Owen%20Starsky%20&%20Hutch%20Signature%20Do%20It.jpg

ScubaDrew

Mine has gone so far as to have 3 entries/exits to his hole - he will be at one one second, then at another the next.

Tank is still in one piece! :smirk:

BEELZEBOB

HHAAAARRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

THE OFFICIAL MANTIS SHRIMP CLUB!!

... a special place for stomatopod geeks and wonders, whoo hoooooo:thumbup:

:invisible

im like all stoked about it.