the cupramine

Status
Not open for further replies.

seatrueblue

The cupramine treatment seems to be working I don't see any spots on my chrysopterus anymore. I have one problem.. My salifert test kit haven't detected the copper in the tank yet. I am going to put cupramine in a bucket and keep putting it in there untill my salifert test kit detects copper. Maybe my salifert test kit is old? I bought it oct 2007 so it can't be expired already. Has anyone else had trouble with their salifert copper test kit not detecting copper? We are only putting in as much as the bottle says to put in. Might have to buy another copper tester..Is API easy to read?
I measured the cupramine in mL (not drops) like you all said on another thread.

When you do a water change..do you add the recommended amount of cupramine to the water you are putting back into the tank? To not dilute the cupramine? I can't wait till next wednesday thats when the water changes will be so much easier.

leebca

Christina,

A lot can go wrong with measuring and using a medication.

Salifert test kits have an expiration date on them. No telling how long the store or source you got the kit from may have had it in their inventory. If there is no sticker on the box, then it was removed or the kit was made prior to them putting expiration dates on their kits. If no date sticker is there or no date indicated on the box, I would assume the kit has expired.

Was the medication measured or dropped? Before you reply to this, please read through this thread: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/30455-cupramine-treatment-mystery.html

Good luck! :)

seatrueblue

I measured the cupramine in mL (not drops) like you all said on another thread.\.

We have only added what the recommended amount said on the bottle. I will get a new API test kit today.

You know..this salifert copper tester that I bought from a lfs doesn't have a expiration date on it like the other test kits I ordered from marinedepot.com. It might be expired. The fish seem happy, breathing normally, eating very well, and no visible spots. They are swimming around the tank and acting like everything is ok.

Kirblit

Just don't add anymore until you get a conclusive reading. What does the bottle with the drops look like for the Salifert kit (color, and words)? The old kits look different than the new ones but the box and everything else is the same.

seatrueblue

Picture2030738.jpg

It is the powdered stuff you scoop out.

lcstorc

I think it was on a different thread but recently someone was having trouble determining the amount of cupermine to add to achieve the desired results. The suggestion was to get a smal measured container of saltwater and keep adding the cupermine (measuring not drops) to see how much was needed to achieve the levels needed. Then calculate how much would be needed for your water volume. As always add slightly less initially since you don't want to overdose but it gave them a good starting point.

Kirblit

I think it was on a different thread but recently someone was having trouble determining the amount of cupermine to add to achieve the desired results. The suggestion was to get a smal measured container of saltwater and keep adding the cupermine (measuring not drops) to see how much was needed to achieve the levels needed. Then calculate how much would be needed for your water volume. As always add slightly less initially since you don't want to overdose but it gave them a good starting point.

That was my thread after doing it in ML instead and using a 2 gallon bucket of salt water I was able to see what .5 color should look like.

Kirblit

Here is the new one, make sure that the liquid bottle looks like this because there are older (expired) ones in the same box but the liquid regent is in a copper/brown colored bottle. You may want to rethink your LFS, that's pretty shady that it doesn't have an expiration date on it and it's that old, it will be on the top usually on a white or green label. Ones that expired in Sep. 2007 are in the same box that I have but have different regent bottle to give you an idea of how old that kit is.

IMG_2879.jpg

seatrueblue

yeesh..wow..lol um I guess this tester is really old then.:( I got it from a fish store down in new braunfels texas. I thought for sure this copper tester would still be good. Well we haven't added any more cupramine. Getting a new test kit tonight but then I'll look for the expiration date. If there isn't one then I'll order from marine depot.

seatrueblue

I'll have to make due with the API test kit..easy to read but I see what you all mean when there is nothing between 0.25 and 0.5. I can't see me ordering priority shipping for just a copper tester and there is no other test kits I need. The API says the copper level is 0.25..well its not over but not where it should be. I don't know why its not where it should be we measured it right. We measured it for the water volume even though they said its a 29 gallon it really only holds 27 gallons. That is with out anything in it. With stuff in it (rocks and sand) the tank holds 25 gallons. You can sqeeze 29 gallons in the tank but its almost to the point of over flowing.

leebca

Christina,

A couple of things:

1. You can make due with the test kit IF it mentions that it gives proper readings for chelated copper or use the directions which specify that it is appropriate for Cupramine. You see, what you're reading may not be accurate because the kit doesn't test for the copper properly in a Cupramine medicated system. I can see you ordering the correct one and getting it as soon as you can, since you a) want to cure the fish and; b) don't want to poison the fish.

2. If you are adding medication containing copper to a tank:
With stuff in it (rocks and sand) the tank holds 25 gallons. You can sqeeze 29 gallons in the tank
then the copper may be tied up in those carbonate products and not in solution -- going back to a treatment which will be of little value.

:hallo:

seatrueblue

I was just giving you examples of how much water volume is if there were rocks and sand it in..there is no rocks and sand in there. Just telling you that the tank holds 25 gallons with rocks and sand and 27 gallons without..as in I was just talking about the water volume. Just saying I was measuring the cupramine with the water volume of the tank not the size.

What I mean is .. if I order a salifert it will have to be priority overnight shipping plus saturday charges. Cupramine treatment is only suppose to be for 14 days right? The end of the 14 days is wednesday April 30th. I guess I can see if that fish store in new braunfels has any non expired salifert test kits...I doubt it though. That is why I say I'll have to deal with only a API copper tester. The LFS in san marcos doesn't carry Salifert test kits. There for a while, they didn't even carry the API tester, untill I asked them if they have any copper testers. Sorry lee I have to work with what I got.:(
Thanks for all the help and comments though.. I appreciate it..really I do

seatrueblue

Hey everyone, Just thought I would update.. ok..It is now the end of the 14days of cupramine treatment. I will be removing the copper with carbon and water changes. The two Chrysopterus are free from spots and are eating well. I know I still have to keep them in there but for how long? They were never in a display tank and my display doesn't have ich. So..two or three weeks more?
Picture2030752-1.jpg

As you can see she has even gained back her color.
Durring these additional weeks I will be dosing the tank with kent marine C to boost their immune system.

Apparently this is a myth, but someone told my husband and I.. when a fish is being treated with copper they can no longer be in a tank with inverts. I think it was the owner of the lfs that said this.

leebca

when a fish is being treated with copper they can no longer be in a tank with inverts.
If I am understanding this correctly, the statement is that after a fish has been treated with copper, then that fish can never be put in with invertebrates. I've never heard of such a thing. I have known no such adverse condition resulting from doing this.

After treatment, hold the fish in QT for 4 more weeks to verify they have been cured. Usually the parasite will show itself again in that time, if it hasn't been erradicated. This is the conservative approach and, if your display/marine system is Marine Ich free, it would something I would want to keep it that way.

:thumbup:

seatrueblue

four weeks sounds good I guess :( I gotta be strong and not get eager to add them in three weeks after the cupramine treatment is over. Thanks Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.