Tank refresh plan

Pat24601

Well, actually, I think my reflex is that this may not be your problem, which could be good or bad.

It's definitely possible for a container to spike a TDS reading up. I've read a lot of posts about that happening.

However, if I understand correctly what you just did was measure the TDS of your saltwater after mixing and while I'm not 100% sure because I've never thought about this before, I don't think that's a valid thing to test. I think the saltwater itself is supposed to have a high TDS. So, it sounds like it might be fine to me???

melvis

Sorry Pat, might not have been that clear. I tested the RO..
  • Coming out the RODI unit and into a clean cup - 000
  • Once the container was filled - 000
  • Once transferred to the saltwater mixing container (prior to salt being added) - 149

Pat24601

Gotcha, Martin. That makes sense.

Yes, I have seen several people post that their containers brought their TDS meter way up like that. It hasn't happened to me, so no first hand experience, but it seems fairly common from what I read.

melvis

All new containers ordered so water change will need to hang on until Saturday now.

On the plus side, received a parcel from Red Sea this morning to replace the peeling corners. Was blown away on opening to find a WHOLE new trim kit!

Kev replaced it all under warranty and it was here within a day! Seriously impressed with Red Sea and their customer service. Being in the UK it's not often that such decent service is received so major respect to them.

My C130 is going to look as good as new. :celebrate:

Now to locate some Gelid Silent 6 fans to replace the water cooling ones. Will need to improvise on the installation as these are slightly wider, but all the same size replacements are noisy.

melvis

Still waiting on my new mixing containers, taking way too long. In the meantime, I've gone lights out for the past 36 hours, with a further 24 or so to go in a bid to assist with beating back a massive outbreak of cyano. It might be my imagination, but this coincided with removal of CPE and carbon being used. Also think it's a water quality issue and I'm desperate to do a WC. RTA seems to be growing again - as usual!

On the plus side, two new Gelid 6 silent fans have arrived. Hopefully going to get these installed later this week to help cool surface water, courtesy of a new soldering iron. Red Sea said replacement water cooling fan units could be sourced for £20, but I couldn't find any stock anywhere so opted for the Gelid's. These were apparently 5.5mm wider than the stock RSM ones, so I ordered some spacers and longer screws but it turns out they are only about 1mm wider in reality. Heard good things so we'll see.

Been thinking about sumps too and whether this is a good investment or not? My reasoning being all the usual things like increased capacity, better chance of maintaining stability, ease of access and potential for a bigger skimmer etc.

After some research, this (http://reefadvanced.co.uk/tmc-reef-sump/) looks like a good option. It should just about fit into the stand. The only issue I'm thinking about is the power centre (fitted to the right hand side of the C130's cabinet) and whether moisture etc will pose a risk. Relocating the power centre is an option I guess. I'd need a prefilter and LifeReef's appears to be about the best there is, according to what I've read. Ideally I'd like one of their sumps but given I want to upgrade to a bigger tank when we finally move in the future, it doesn't seem like a wise investment for now.

Too much time on my hands at the moment lol!

Pat24601

Still waiting on my new mixing containers, taking way too long. In the meantime, I've gone lights out for the past 36 hours, with a further 24 or so to go in a bid to assist with beating back a massive outbreak of cyano. It might be my imagination, but this coincided with removal of CPE and carbon being used. Also think it's a water quality issue and I'm desperate to do a WC. RTA seems to be growing again - as usual!

On the plus side, two new Gelid 6 silent fans have arrived. Hopefully going to get these installed later this week to help cool surface water, courtesy of a new soldering iron. Red Sea said replacement water cooling fan units could be sourced for £20, but I couldn't find any stock anywhere so opted for the Gelid's. These were apparently 5.5mm wider than the stock RSM ones, so I ordered some spacers and longer screws but it turns out they are only about 1mm wider in reality. Heard good things so we'll see.

Been thinking about sumps too and whether this is a good investment or not? My reasoning being all the usual things like increased capacity, better chance of maintaining stability, ease of access and potential for a bigger skimmer etc.

After some research, this (http://reefadvanced.co.uk/tmc-reef-sump/) looks like a good option. It should just about fit into the stand. The only issue I'm thinking about is the power centre (fitted to the right hand side of the C130's cabinet) and whether moisture etc will pose a risk. Relocating the power centre is an option I guess. I'd need a prefilter and LifeReef's appears to be about the best there is, according to what I've read. Ideally I'd like one of their sumps but given I want to upgrade to a bigger tank when we finally move in the future, it doesn't seem like a wise investment for now.

Too much time on my hands at the moment lol!

You are beyond my realm of expertise, but I definitely hope all goes well!

melvis

Thanks Pat. A lot to be getting on with that's for sure. I see the freshwater RSM is coming along nicely, definitely following with interest!