Sump Recommendations Please

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I need to purchase a sump and I'm looking for recommendations on who to buy one through.

Thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
MRC has some awesome setups as well.......if you're particular, having one custom made is cool but expensive. You looking for a plug and play or designing one? I purchased mine from LifeReef.

Kongor

I have a trigger systems sump and love it..solid build and packaging was great didnt have to worry about it breaking.

I have the Ruby36S thats 36" x 15" x 16".

Fit in a vertex omega in skimmer with enough room to run two of my reactors (2 MJ1200 inside skimmer section, reactors outside of sump), big center area for a fuge, and return is pretty decent. Exact specs are on their website.

***edit - found the specs!

Dimensions: 36" long x 15" wide x 16" high
Drain/Skimmer Section: 12" x 14.5"
Center/Refugium Section: 12.25" x 14.5"
Return Pump Section: 8" x 14.5"
Total Water Volume: 34.5 gallons
Operating Water Volume: 23.4 gallons*

DaveK

There are a lot of good sumps put there. Mine happens to be one from AETech. I like how you can get the larger ones in 3/8" acrylic. That's a lot more stable that the usual 1/4" material used on a lot of others.

That being said, building your own sump out of an aquarium is a fairly easy DIY project, and you can save a lot of money. Acrylic plastic today is very expensive. So consider a DIY sump an option.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks guys!

It's not for me it's for a client and I'll take a look at these and give him 2 or 3 solid recommendations.

Mike Johnson

I think the Synergy Reef ones are gorgeous. If I had the money it's the way I would go. Also love their top off container.

But being realistic I'd agree with Dave, it's easy to build one yourself and a lot less money. Melev's reef has examples. I've built mine.

Mike Johnson

Synergy sumps have adjustable height skimmer compartments. Unless you know what depth your skimmer is going to be before hand and never plan to change skimmer type, it's the way I would go. And after looking at Vivid site they are less expensive; which I didn't think was possible because they are high priced.

DaveK

This post is about my thoughts on sump evaluation, and what I look for.

Look for a return area that contains a large volume of water. It prevents the sump from running dry even with a large return pump. Many return areas are minimal and a powerful pump can over run them.

Consider an external return pump. There are advantages either way, but an external pump can usually be a lot larger and will not raise the tank temp. It will require more space and plumbing.

Consider an external skimmer for the same reasons. If you put the skimmer behind the tank, no worries about how tall it is, or it needing to fit into the sump.

I prefer a refugium as a separate unit, and not part of the sump. That lets you work on it with out stopping the other filtration.

All that said, sump selection is a very personal choice, and what I like may not be right for you. This post list my preferences.

Mike Johnson

I totally agree with Dave, again. But, there's always a but, one consideration of the return section is I would prefer that it ran dry before overflowing the tank. If that rare time when the tank isn't draining, but the pump is still working. I'd rather build the components myself for 1/10th the price, though.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm actually considering building another for the 125 in place of the one I currently have in place.

However, as soon as the wife is out long enough for me to drill 3 holes behind the tank through my kitchen floor, the filtration is going in the basement so I can work and clean things much easier.

Me thinks a gift certificate to an all day spa may be on the menu for this Valentines day:)

DaveK

..., the filtration is going in the basement so I can work and clean things much easier. ...

Think very carefully before you do this. Even if you can locate the filtration system directly under your tank, you need to raise the water about 10 to 15 feet up, to return it to your tank. This means you need to use a pressure rated external pump. A small, glorified powerhead pump, is not going to work well.

You also have the additional exercise you'll get running up and down stairs to service the system or if there is a problem, or even just to check up on things.

The plus side is that you can spread out the filtration system, and even have containers for mixing SW plumbed as part of the system, and the display tank look nice.

Make sure you are not creating more work for yourself.

DSP

Trigger systems! I just received my new trigger systems tideline sump and it's amazing! They also have a couple other new designs coming out so I'd keep an eye out for sure, Here's mine
2ysaty3u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DaveK

I've been very happy with my Bashsea Bio Fuge. They can also build them to order.

MRC has some awesome setups as well.......if you're particular, having one custom made is cool but expensive. You looking for a plug and play or designing one? I purchased mine from LifeReef.

Mine is a LifeReef and it was easy to set up & I like it! :D
Would recommend it and the pre-filter from LifeReef too.
You should at least read about them http://www.lifereef.com/products.html
We can help you spend your money Mark ;)

Synergy Reef makes some awesome looking and very functional sumps. www.synergyreef.com

Actually the one I like the most if I were buying one for myself are the ones mad by Vivid Aquariums. http://www.vividaquariums.com/c-684-sumps.aspx

Although they are a bit pricey IMO.

Trigger systems! I just received my new trigger systems tideline sump and it's amazing! They also have a couple other new designs coming out so I'd keep an eye out for sure, Here's mine {Image deleted}

I'm glad everyone has a favorite sump. I'm not trying to come down on anyone, but to really be helpful, you need to tell us why you like a particular sump. What might be a great feature to you might be a major reason not to buy it for someone else.