Starting a 55 gal FOWLR

CarolinaFOWLR

Ok im starting a 55 gal FOWLR i have live carb sand, dry argonite, about 10 lbs of rock only one rock was cured live rock from my LFS. I have a 950 gph powerhead, a carbon bio filter for a 55 gal, a 20 gal carbon filter, two shabby lights that im going to replace asap they just came with the tank. I have 0 nitrate, 1.0 ammonia, salinaty is 10.26. where do i go from here or what do i fix, do i really need a sump, do i need a protien skimmer now ? i plan on getting one next week im at day 3 of tank CYCLING/running.:help1::help1:

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

A skimmer is a great addition - congrats on the new tank !

Steve L

Sounds like you're off to a great start, but I would add a lot more rock so you have about a pound per gallon and do it now while your tank is still cycling. It doesn't have to be the expensive live stuff, just buy it dry and your tank will do the rest. Once your ammonia and nitrites are down to zero you'll see the nitrates increase. After they spike, do a heavy water change and gradually get them down to zero. Then add fish slowly and only one every few weeks for the first few months. Your tank may seem huge but your tank can only handle a few fish safely. Overstocking is the one sure way to kill everything, and if possible set up a small quarantine tank for new arrivals before putting them in your display tank. A cheap fish carrying ich or velvet can wipe out everything in your tank if you don't quarantine them first.

I've had a number of FOWLR tanks over the years and if I would starting a new one now I would use as much rock as possible, and would use an oversized skimmer instead of a cannister or HOB filter. I've never used a sump with a FOWLR tank. Unless you're going to get a puffer or predator type fish, I'd have a big clean up crew in conjunction with the live rock, and you'll find your nitrates will stay lower (as long as you don't overfeed) and your maintenance will be much more managable.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

CarolinaFOWLR

Sounds like you're off to a great start, but I would add a lot more rock so you have about a pound per gallon and do it now while your tank is still cycling. It doesn't have to be the expensive live stuff, just buy it dry and your tank will do the rest. Once your ammonia and nitrites are down to zero you'll see the nitrates increase. After they spike, do a heavy water change and gradually get them down to zero. Then add fish slowly and only one every few weeks for the first few months. Your tank may seem huge but your tank can only handle a few fish safely. Overstocking is the one sure way to kill everything, and if possible set up a small quarantine tank for new arrivals before putting them in your display tank. A cheap fish carrying ich or velvet can wipe out everything in your tank if you don't quarantine them first.

I've had a number of FOWLR tanks over the years and if I would starting a new one now I would use as much rock as possible, and would use an oversized skimmer instead of a cannister or HOB filter. I've never used a sump with a FOWLR tank. Unless you're going to get a puffer or predator type fish, I'd have a big clean up crew in conjunction with the live rock, and you'll find your nitrates will stay lower (as long as you don't overfeed) and your maintenance will be much more managable.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

CarolinaFOWLR

ok well i add another 2lbs live rock today and i will go again this week and get some (dead rock) atleast about 15 lbs more that should do the job right? Also would a oversized hang on back skimmer be fine?

DSP

Welcome! And you want Atleast a pound per gallon of rock, So 55lbs would be a good start, Personally I would put about 75lbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish:
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. The home for reefers who care.

It's good to see you taking part in the forums.
It would be great if you started a Reef Chronicle to share your journey with us.

When you have time, put some more info on your profile page and share your journey.
We love Reef Chronicles, stories, questions and most of all.........
...................photos!!!
images

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

CarolinaFOWLR

Ok i got ya now, i will do that this morning, so do i put it in the tank for a certain amount of time or just leave it be. My ammonia spiked to 1.0 on last check how big of a spike should i look for?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Put it in and leave it in, it will disintegrate over time and once you add a Clean Up Crew (CUC) they will take care of whatever is left. Hard to tell how high the ammonia will go as many factors will affect it.

Here is your typical cycle. Don't worry about they days across the bottom as many factors can affect the timing (condition of live rock). The important thing to look for is the rise and fall to zero of ammonia and then the rise and fall to zero of Nitrites. Once that is done, the cycle is complete and you can do a large water change or a series of water changes to reduce Nitrates and add a CUC.

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg

Steve L

Like I and others have said, ideally you should have about a pound of rock for each gallon of water. Yes, that's a lot of rock but your fish will love it and it will give you a natural filtration system that will help keep the water clean.

An oversized HOB skimmer is what I use and they work great.

CarolinaFOWLR

All of this sounds like great advice im going to add that rock and the oversized skimmer, im very excited about the journey of my 55 gal FOWLR. This is going to be fun and intresting.

im going to post pics later.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Great advice from Greg.:geekin: I followed it and I'm glad I did. :thumbup:

Put it in and leave it in, it will disintegrate over time and once you add a Clean Up Crew (CUC) they will take care of whatever is left. Hard to tell how high the ammonia will go as many factors will affect it.

Here is your typical cycle. Don't worry about they days across the bottom as many factors can affect the timing (condition of live rock). The important thing to look for is the rise and fall to zero of ammonia and then the rise and fall to zero of Nitrites. Once that is done, the cycle is complete and you can do a large water change or a series of water changes to reduce Nitrates and add a CUC.

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg