Star Polyp killer

daddio

I can't keep the darned things alive! I have many other creatures (for years) that are supposedly more demanding (clams, an anenome, montipora, xenia, etc.), but for some reason, they start out fine, spread and then quit opening up. I can get them to stay for extended periods of time. Any tips? I know that they should be "easy" but it is driving me a little nuts that I can't get them to grow.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Welp, hate to ask but, what are your current water tests? lighting? flow? that will get the ball rolling. Steve

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Once, I too had a colony of polyps melt away. They were beautiful with pink centers. I really don't know why they melted.... It was after I fragged them so they could have gotten an infection?

BoomerD

Wow...I WISH I'd have had that problem...the danged things tried to take over my entire tank...

daddio

temp: 80
salinity:1.023
pH: 8.4
Nitrate/Nitrite/NH: all 0
Ca: 540
KH: 6.5

The tank is 75 gallons with a 40 gallon refugium. 75 lbs of live rock and a skimmer. I dose kalk in my makeup water. Lighting is 2x150 10K MH with 2 130 watt actinic bulbs.

Only thing I can see that is off is the KH is low. I am sure that is from the high Ca but my clams and montipora are Ca hogs. I change out 5 gallons of water a week and use RODI water for makeup.

Everything else is doing great. My plating montipora has grown about 3/4 of an inch in the last 5 months and my crocea clam has doubled his size in about the same amount of time...and I can't keep star polyps alive...

They have become my bane. I buy a little piece from the LFS, get it to cover a nice chunk of rock, and then kaput...

daddio

Yes, green star polyps... but mine are (were) all pink.

I have a problem with Xenia taking over the tank...

daddio

Could it be bristleworms? I do have quite a collection of those. Waiting for a six line wrasse to come in.

iamkellogg

Just following along. I have the same problem with my green stars. My pink ones are fine but the green ones seem to be dwindling.

Kelly

mps9506

Perhaps one of your fish has developed a liking to the taste of GSP? :) If so, Boomer might buy it... :D

Regarding your Ca/alk. I would try to balance it out. There is NO benefit to having Ca that high. In my SPS tank I kept my Ca ~350. Most folks keep it somewhere between 350-450 which closer to natural conditions for your corals.

daddio

I have been trying to get my Ca down. I use Corallife salt and I have not dosed kalk in what seems like forever. Is this salt high in Ca?

Also, the polyps have opened back up. The only thing I have done different is added a capful of Coral Vital over the last couple of days. It may be just a coincidence (maybe the fish or whatever is leaving them alone)... I have had the Coral Vital laying around and thought I might as well use it up (pretty expensive stuff). I know Marc Weiss products are kind of looked at as voodoo magic (some believe, some laugh). Anyone have an opinion on Coral Vital?

flricordia

Iodine needs to be maintained too. Kent's Iodine is excellent. I have used it for years and years and very seldome loose anything. Soft corals thrive. I use it daily per directions except for water change day. Many soft corals will wither without sufficient levels.

DaveK

I would be very careful with any additive, especially ones like iodine, which can be toxic if over used.

I believe that if you can't test for it, don't use it. If you are going to use iodine, you should also have and use an iodine test kit.

I also prefer to maintain trace elements with water changes, rather than by additives.

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow...you have the same problem with star polyps that I have with colt corals. I don't understand it. My water quality is excellent; I have bubbles, zoos, tons and tons of star polyps that spread like wildfire, leathers out the whaazoo, flower pots; I even have clams but for the life of me I cannot figure out colts.

You what you could check? I had a slight outbreak of flatworms on one of my pagodas that I ended up sucking out with a turkey baster and playing "freshwater funbath" with the unwelcome visitors. Check to see if you have flatworms. You'd be surprised at how destructive those things are.

wrecklass

i wish i hade your problem i have to trade a six inch rock full of green stars once a month.i have hade this melting problem with pom pom xzenia though