Snail's pace beginning to an Old Lady's 65g Reef

tbittner

This is going to be a great tank! One question though, do you use the fireplace? I'm just a little concerned about the heat from it heating the water. Also, a fire that close to the tank.... well, fire uses oxygen and burns it out of the air which will reduce your DO (disolved oxygen) level in your water and also cause the PH to go down.

I don't know if this will be a problem for you and I'm sure others here will be better able to elaborate.

BarbMazz

This is going to be a great tank! One question though, do you use the fireplace? I'm just a little concerned about the heat from it heating the water. Also, a fire that close to the tank.... well, fire uses oxygen and burns it out of the air which will reduce your DO (disolved oxygen) level in your water and also cause the PH to go down.

I don't know if this will be a problem for you and I'm sure others here will be better able to elaborate.

We do use the fireplace, and I have wondered if it could have an effect on the tank. Thanks for bringing this up; I'll be interested to see what people have to say, and if there are any suggestions to counteract any ill effects a fire could cause.

I do have an alternate location in my bedroom, although I do prefer to have it in the living room where guests can enjoy it, too.

Emg

Lol......this could be interesting.......with or WITHOUT the tv....:bluenod:

BTW.......I'm in your club too....I HATE tv...... :drool:

BarbMazz

:spinner: :spinner:
Lol......this could be interesting.......with or WITHOUT the tv....:bluenod:

BTW.......I'm in your club too....I HATE tv...... :drool:

Maybe those of us who think TV is STOOPID should form a Stoopid TV Club. I imagine it would have to be OT. :spinner:

lcstorc

Love the start of the build thread. Your excitement is contageous.
How about putting the TV in the bedroom? That sounds like it would solve the problem. :)
Oh and don't worry about Sas. He waxes poetic occasionally but we loce him for it.

goldenmean

I was wondering about how often the fire place was used too.
I was thinking of the the gasses created by burning and if that could get into the tank. I have read treads about not burning incense in a room with a tank although I do. But a fireplace is a much bigger burn.
Again I dont know if this could be a problem or not but like Terry it popped into my head as an issue to research.

goldenmean

I still say mount the TV above the fireplace. Then you have both and the tank has its spot. Barb can watch the tank while she is spending time with her TV watching family.

blue_eyes53813

I wanna follow along too. Wanna see what the outcome is gonna be.. Tv or no TV... I like TV but its not a must for me.. I do daycare and I just cant stand kids shows anymore... lol I dont get to watch much TV but it sure helps settle kids down when you need it...

BarbMazz

My husband says to tell you guys that our house has an HRV unit (heat recovery unit? huh?! :drool:) . Our house is a very 'tight' house and this unit is always bringing in fresh air. He is wondering if that would make a difference with the tank. Also, he measured the distance between the fireplace and Tank Spot, and it is 15ft away. Would that make a difference as well?

BarbMazz

Love the start of the build thread. Your excitement is contageous.
How about putting the TV in the bedroom? That sounds like it would solve the problem. :)
Oh and don't worry about Sas. He waxes poetic occasionally but we loce him for it.

Thanks Lynn.. I've been waiting for something to grab my interest, and then reefing came along!

There's NO WAY I would have a tv in my bedroom. YUCKY, YUCKY! I'd have to do an Elvis on it :guns:

Oh, I've already learned about Sas.. I've already learned to loce him! :heart:

BarbMazz

I wanna follow along too. Wanna see what the outcome is gonna be.. Tv or no TV... I like TV but its not a must for me.. I do daycare and I just cant stand kids shows anymore... lol I dont get to watch much TV but it sure helps settle kids down when you need it...

Alas, nothing will done with the tv. I know it will stay. I do admit that I like the show "Lost". However, I'll watch it on abc.com because you can click out of commercials and is only about 42 minutes long.

Octoman

My husband says to tell you guys that our house has an HRV unit (heat recovery unit? huh?! :drool:) . Our house is a very 'tight' house and this unit is always bringing in fresh air. He is wondering if that would make a difference with the tank.

Barb, The HRV should help with the tank. Some people have issues with pH in their systems because of increased CO2 in the house. Increased CO2 lowers the pH in the water through production of carbonic acid. Houses are built so tight these days that CO2 levels can become very elevated indoors. The HRV is probably the best solution to this problem. Makes the air much healthier for you and your tank.

BarbMazz

Barb, The HRV should help with the tank. Some people have issues with pH in their systems because of increased CO2 in the house. Increased CO2 lowers the pH in the water through production of carbonic acid. Houses are built so tight these days that CO2 levels can become very elevated indoors. The HRV is probably the best solution to this problem. Makes the air much healthier for you and your tank.

Thanks, Mark. I was hoping to hear this. We wanted healthy air, hence putting the HRV in when we built the house. Hopefully, I'll be able to manage the tank. I'll be sure to check pH often when I get the tank going, especially if we burn a fire.

BarbMazz

Today I placed an order with Jack for:
ASM G2 Skimmer
Hydor Koralia 3 ph's
Water General RO/DI RD-102
Neptune AquaController Jr w/Serial port
Refractometer with screwless calibration
Biotherm Monitor and heater
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 pump

He said stuff will begin to ship on Weds.

LFS did not call to tell me my tanks are in :cry1:
However, I wanted to have my equipment here that will go into the sump before I start building, so I guess that's not too bad of a thing.

I've placed my order for first aid kit items as outlined in Lee's thread here.
I'm getting closer to actually being ready to get this puppy up and running. :whstlr:

BarbMazz

Merry Christmas!!! :D

When was the last time you got a good nights sleep??? :lol:

Many moons ago! Since I made this decision I've been staying up REALLY late every night. It's okay now because our business is closed down over the holidays. I'll start to pay on Weds when we re-open!

Witfull

you can have my remote control when you pry it from my cold dead hand~

Jack also sells TV Projection units you have the wall space~

yes men love fire, but only when we sear strips of animal flesh over it. MMMM BBQ~

good job on researching and planning,,,waiting to watch it grow.