Snails at the top of the tank

JimmyJ

I have noticed that once the light goes off for the night most of the snails in the tank migrate to the top, near the surface, and stay their for pretty much until morning. Any thing I should be concerned about?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My nerites stay at the top of the tank during the day, then migrate throughout about 8pm, while my ceriths stay on/in the substrate during the day and then work their way up at night.

Aaarrrggg

Mine do the same... Although they've started staying on the rocks more now my tank is a little older (6+ mths.)

Careful if your tank is rimmless; they can sometimes go for an "adventure" over the side! :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Nothing to be worried about. Also if your tank isn't sealed don't be surprised if once in a while one "jumps to freedom".

reefer gladness

Same experience with nerites, they like to climb. You could add some trochus snails for diversity, mine generally hang out on the rocks and they're voracious feeders.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Uh Ya n they sneak out from time to time n dry out. just knock em back in n carry on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sometimes, they (depending on the species) go up there to breed. Unless they're on my magnet cleaner on in my way, I leave them be. Now I have over 100 mini-snails.