Smokinjoe's JBJ28 HQI

I've asked enough questions on here for this tank, so I'll post a little update on the new tank (Combined tank really). The mini-cycle is almost over, hair algae is dying, still getting a little brown algae on the glass, but that's ok. Starting to see specs of Coraline on the back panel and the power head noozles.Everything seems happy (Besides the GSP, which I just toothbrushed). Thanks for all the help peeps!

Ps Can anyone give an ID on the frilly mushroom? It's split into 3 pieces in the last few weeks. Worried about it taking over.

IMG_20111117_180105.jpg

IMG_20111117_180048.jpg

IMG_20111117_180136.jpg

gbose

SmokinJoe,

I'm just a newbie, but have the same type of 'shrooms. I love them! I believe Ricordea, possibly?

GBose

SmokinJoe,

I'm just a newbie, but have the same type of 'shrooms. I love them! I believe Ricordea, possibly?

GBose

Not really sure, I was told they were of the frilly mushroom type. All I know is within less than a month, they have gotten bigger. Also the Xenia is starting to get massive. Things grow a lot faster under Metal Halides :)

Oh yes, and thank you for the kind words! Next on my to buy list is birdsnest frag.

DesertOrchid

Frilly mushrooms. They are not quite as agressive as the others. I'd be more concerned about the xenia taking over. Once the colonies get so big they are prone to crashing. Just melt away for no reason what so ever.

tnwillia

If your talking about top left in the last picture, I'm thinking Hairy mushrooms. I have them and they do devide and will get real big. I've scraped them off a rock twice only to have them return. On the DFS link, mine look like the top right picture. Good luck! Your tank looks great!

Hairy Mushroom

Update to my tank.

Got this egg crate from my LFS. They had in it their reef tank and didn't want to disturb the coral growth, so they cut it up into pieces and sold it. This is the piece I bought. Kind of a neat deal, different Zoas/Palys, plus I think some Xenia (which I'll pull probably) and maybe more frilly or hairy shrooms. My Xenia on top are growing like mad! Oh yes, and there's my lovely algae on the glass :)

The Peppermint shrimp came with the egg crate apparently - Hopefully he can outwit and outrun my YWG

IMG_20111211_191017.jpg

IMG_20111211_190938.jpg

IMG_20111211_190908.jpg

I think so too, for $15 bucks, I wish I had more room in my tank, I would have bought more. Hopefully the zoas spread over it completely, like a mini zoa garden.

Thanks Guys!

How would you guys go about removing the Xenia from the eggcrate? Just cut the stalks? I'd rather that be all Zoa and Palys, but I've heard how Xenia can come back with just a little base left. Plus I don't want to disturb the Zoas too much.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I see two choices. Cut the egg crate with wire cutters or take a blade n remove what u want. Feel free to chop the xenia. It's resilient. If u remove the zoas don't pop the stalks. Get under them n almost Peel. Have fun! It's scary but real easy once you've done it.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

corrado007

Yeah, I agree with the above post, you'll want to cut the egg crate. It cuts pretty easy with a set of diagonal cutters. If you try to cut the xenia stalks they WILL grow back. It only takes a speck of that stuff to grow back. In general, I've found that it's best to keep your xenias higher up as they tend to grow upward. So if you have them low down on the tank they will grow across the ground and then up the rocks and ultimately out of control. If you have them on a high rock they won't grow downward to areas where you want to grow other corals. Just my 2 cents.

catran

If you can, cut the eggcrate and take zoa and all and glue it to either a frag plug, or directly to a rock. It's much better to not disturb the zoa polyp. I've fragged hundreds and I've scraped a ton off rocks. The stay stronger when they aren't scraped. The zooanthelle are very easily injured. You have a much better chance of survival, probably 99%. When I trade frags, I even use a dremel to cut plugs in half, rather than scrape them off. I need them stronger, faster when I plan to ship them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD