Skimmate

niagara135

Woodstock said:
Yes, I am using a mag7. I was just wondering if anyone else had an increase in skimmate after water changes or mineral supplements. Mine definately increases skimmate after water changes and supplements are added. Maybe I'll raise the cup a tad...

I do believe I have the same skimmer w/mag 7 as you. I also have the extra large cup on mine. Same thing as you are talking about. Some days the cup is full and it is very wet, others there is not much. No adjustments on the skimmer that I can see. Alot of times I will turn the skimmer off for about 4 to 6 hours when adding any kind of supplements, the skimmer really seems to pull anything out very quick.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I started feeding frozen cyclo-peeze this weekend for a baby blue tang I just purchased and the skimmer is going nuts.... which is expected since the cyclopeeze is all in the water column. My corals are enjoying the feedings as much as the tang!

Dakota

here 1 for u guys i have noticed that my skimmer goes nuts at night. it will pull real good at nighht then when lights come on it doesnt pull as much. what do i feed alot more then most here. i have no algea problems so im good there and the skimmer is sized for a much larger tank then mine. any ideas why it would do this? no kalk at night just bionic around first thing in the morning.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Woody:

Just as a point of interest! I will be buying a camara that goes on the eyepiece of a microscope for school. One idea with the school tank is to take the skimmate and take a look at it under the scope (your idea a while back if you remember...not a chemical analysis but a biological one). I will snap some pictures and post them on the school thread. When I send you a thermos...You could send me some of your skimmate and I will look at it for you if you want and send back some pictures...It will be interesting to compare different tanks. Of course this would be a very objective study but could be fascinating none the less! :)

Cheers!
:)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ohhhh I love experiments!!! Thanks Rodger! I wish i could be there to watch! Ummmm.... could you send an oversized thermos that would fit me? :D

Witfull

eww,,,the smell of skimate after sitting bottled up for a few days on a warm day! whats the nasal factor on that!!!

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Sure Woody! :bigbounce As I pick one out are there any amenities you require on your journey in the thermos? :rolleyes:

Witty...hummm...pretty rank I imagine as if the stuff does not smell bad enough as it is. I am not doing a smell test on the stuff...I leave that to others! I just want to look at it! :)

Cheers!
:)