Sharkbait wants a Retro Nano...

Sharkbait

Thinking about starting a nano, not a cube but of my own design. A quarantine for my coral going into my large display is why I'm really interested.I am also considering going completely throw-back on this project.
Yeah thats right, a Berlin airlift skimmer and maybe an undergravel plate, all air driven no powerheads. I plan to have it right here by my desk, so I'll be close to it several times a day to monitor. Any input from people who have used these before or currently would be greatly apprieciated.
I figure a ten gallon nano is a test for any seasoned aquarist, and a 96W power quad would put me close to 10W a Gal for lighting.Want to keep it simple as possible, and I really want to find an out of date reef book(70's-80's) to model filtration and technology.Open to any "old school" ideas from anyone. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
"Simple as possible"? BB baby!~~ ;) Seriously, sounds like fun. I've never had a nano before but have been very tempted to set one up... one of my LFS has a 12 gal nano that is just A-dorable!!! I hear the upkeep on them is surprisingly high though :( You have a great idea using yours for a QT tank!! Keep us posted and, as always, share the PICS when you get them!!!

Sharkbait

I want to try the technology that pioneers of the reef frontier used with knowledge and practicality of today.BB may be the most efficent way to go.As for the upkeep it has never seemed to bother me, I like working on my tanks daily.Will keep you all posted with pics.

KimPossible

This is great.
As Confucius pointed out, "thoughts without action are worthless"; and for Plato, "an unexamined life is not worth living".
Bob Fenner put a list of reference books together. If you scroll down you'll see the headings General Marine Aquariology and Reef Books. The years they were published are listed, most of them in the decades you are looking for. I've never read any of them, but maybe, one of titles will ring a bell for someone here.

Last edited:

Sharkbait

Wow, Kim you found them. I didn't think there would be that many.I agree with both Confucius and Plato, looked up two of those books so far.I'll be reading for a bit.I'm starting the tank next week if everything goes well.

Sharkbait

:time: Alright here come the photos of equipment and set up of my nano.I'm not really going for pretty on this one as more functional and technical.I am going with 3 beefy air pumps for lift tubes and a maxi jet 1200 for my spraybar running current across the bottom of tank.A Berlin Airlift 90 skimmer and a Luft pump on that for air control.It's filled with water and off and running.Enjoy...

Attachments

• P1010288.JPG
    P1010288.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010292.JPG
    P1010292.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 108
  • P1010293.JPG
    P1010293.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010294.JPG
    P1010294.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010302.JPG
    P1010302.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 104

Newt

Excellent craftmanship Shark, looks like you're really making some progress. Keep us updated as more is finished. :)

Sharkbait

So I had a day off after my Texas trip, idle time drives me insane, so I got the stuff to build it.The size is what makes it easy,seems like every step only took a few minutes. I'm really happy with how it transfered from on paper to reality.I guess when you have the stuff lying around it would kinda be cheatin, but who's counting anyway?I'm looking into cheap and simple auto top off devices right now any suggestions?

corvettephreek

auto top off would be kinda difficult on a small tank, but certainly doable. I would have a sealed cup full of bottled water and have a peice of airline tubing on the cap. make a cradle for the bottle to be upside down, and every time you need to top it off, you just put the bottle in the cradle and wait a few seconds. or maybe a small chamber in the back of the tank where you can use the same idea alhambra uses in their water machines. where once the water reaches a certain point the bottle's "seal" on the water is broken and the water is replenished, just until the water line reaches just above the tip of the bottle. idea?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Auto Top Off

I used to top off my reef every day..sometimes 3-4 times a day by HAND :eek: Brian_e made me this AWESOME auto top off device and it works like a charm! He made it by hand. It is easily adjusted, has a dual float switch to eliminate floods, and is very well made. This gadget is easily worth it's weight in gold!!! I love it! The float switches are located in the sump and wired into an extention cord that has a small ph plugged into it; the ph is placed into a container filled with kalkwasser. This little unit keeps the sump at a very constant level! I highly recommend it. :)

floats_auto_topoff.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Here is a crude photo of our auto top-off. Mark made this one. Same principal as Woodstocks except we only have one float switch. It works great though!! Thank god for it, it got old topping off every day. :)

Last edited:

Sharkbait

I saw one similar as both of those commercially for sale this last week.Dual floats and you supply the ph and replenisher box.Looks like a simple sound invention to me, and I think I'll probably be using this type of set up on my nano first then my display.I personally have liked the rythm of topping off a tank, but two?Naaahh!!!Thanks for the help.I think I'll start stocking the tank around my birthday.

Sharkbait

I have an opinion poll for those reading; what type of lighting should I put over my nano?I like high wattage.(PC,VHO,MH)what wattage?(96w,130w,150w)If that's not enough to answer what should be stocked first?(Zoos,Acans,Acros)and then which?(Hectors goby,Clown ",Cleaner " )This should be interesting... I should be stocking soon and I'm excited to see it take shape.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Looking good! No substrate?

Lighting? 1 MH @ 150 watts, great intensity, good selection of kelvin bulbs to use and they last atleast 1 year.

Corals? Softies, then acros, then acans. Just to give you extra time to work out any 'kinks' that may arise before putting in the pricey corals.

Fish? Depends on which clowns you choose. Put the most aggressive fish in last.

Sharkbait

No substrate, eggcrate!I am going to use these plugs that just became available to me. They call them "frag pods",come it two shapes for different applications.The pods lock into the cross of the eggcrate, super easy!!! I have a 175 MH SE , I'm not using now.Would that be too much?I could use that, only have heat concerns.AZ is burning this time of year.I'll post pics when I mount the first frag.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Oh yeah, Ive seen those frag plugs. They work great with eggcrate. A 175 watt MH would do fine. Could you raise the bulb further away from the water suface if you have a heat issue? .. or hook up a chiller?

Sharkbait

I guess both might work, now putting a chiller on a ten gallon tank. That's either borderline insanity or brilliance.Jury is still out on that one.I love MH, but the heat they produce, along with our days here, really can make you think and rethink ideas for High powered lighting.Nano's really can put you to work, most things won't fit them so you have to adapt.I'm ready to get this one going.