Setting up a Aquacontroller vs. reefkeeper

tex5620

I am in the market for a controller for my tank. I wish to controller everything ffom pH, temp, lights, etc. I have been looking at info on both and can't decide. Plus I like to think I have decent common sense and would like to know if I have to have a special degree just to program one of these. right now I just have a bc29 and plan on adding a 140gallon mix to the house so what appropriate units would I need.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have an AC Jr and LOVE it. With that said I wouldn't buy another AC Jr if I were doing it again. I'd move up to a unit with Web access and more potential controls. As for programming it... well at first it kind of doesn't make sense but it wasn't hard to learn it. Now it's pretty easy although I still get the manual out now and again.

Once you go controller you'll NEVER go back :)

A.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have both an AquaController III and a REefkeeper 2 controllers (one for my reef and the other for my clownfish growout system).
There is a learning curve with the AC III programming but the RK2 can be set up in minutes.
I am assuming that the newest Reefkeeper ELITE is just as easy to program as the RK2.
My vote is for the RK Elite :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm hoping to be able to provide some "Detailed" input into the new
Biomatix eAquatix™ Controllers from Salty Supply.
Biomatix eAquatix™ Controllers

I really like the look and apparent ease of use this controller advertises. As soon as I get my hands on one I plan to do a full blown review and I'll start a thread from the beginning so we can discuss it openly. It's worth looking into.

Allen :)

reefer4200

I'm hoping to be able to provide some "Detailed" input into the new
Biomatix eAquatix™ Controllers from Salty Supply.
Biomatix eAquatix™ Controllers

I really like the look and apparent ease of use this controller advertises. As soon as I get my hands on one I plan to do a full blown review and I'll start a thread from the beginning so we can discuss it openly. It's worth looking into.

Allen :)

Go get one this week!! :fingerx: I wanna get one but would love a good review from a trusted source first!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Go get one this week!! :fingerx: I wanna get one but would love a good review from a trusted source first!!

I don't know about "Trusted" :lol:

I'm working on it right now....waiting to hear back from the vendor and such. These things take time ya know :)

I already have the AC Jr and LOVE it for the most part. It's got many short comings but for the tank it was bought for it was worth the money. This one will be for the 90g system which has a LOT more bells & whistles and needs a much more robust controller than my AC Jr. Also I want remote access and an easy to understand and use interface. As soon as I have something IN hand I'll start a thread dedicated to it from unpacking to installation.... programming... remote access... and long term thoughts as well.

reefer4200

I don't know about "Trusted" :lol:

Also I want remote access and an easy to understand and use interface. As soon as I have something IN hand I'll start a thread dedicated to it from unpacking to installation.... programming... remote access... and long term thoughts as well.

I am highly interested in the remote access, im considering setting up a camera on my tank with remote access, and then hooking up a nice aquacontroller to it to watch it work. My dad sells the cameras so i can get a decent price. This would be fun, be at work or on the cell phone playing with my tank. I think my addiction is getting to me....:help1:

I did alot of research and went with Profilux-
*Software has a slight learning curve (due to the depth of programming) but is really easy to use once you figure it out.
*The support is awesome, If someone suggest a good feature it is usually implemented in the next OS (which they do frequently)
*There are NO BUGS!! Everything does exactly what it's supposed to!!
*Has wireless option and can be controlled remotely

Here is a really good ws

Aquarium Controllers: Download Controller Comparison Chart

corrado007

The aquacontrollers are a bit harder to learn to use from what I understand but w/ a little common sense and a bit of time to get used to them it's no big deal. I would have gone for the ReefKeeper Elite when I got my AC Jr were it not for the price difference. I wouldn't personally consider ease of use and programming as a factor, just look at the features in the controller you want. Regardless which one you go with, in a short time you will be familiar navigating through and programming it and the features it offers will be all that matters.
Good luck.

rmlevasseur

I agree that setting up the controller with a computer interface is MUCH easier on the AC3. But then again, I wouldn't spend that kinda cash for a controller that did not have an interface or way to connect to the internet. I really can't imagine programming being any easier on the AC3 through the computer. Its all if-then statements. If time is > 11:59 then turn light 1 off.