See My New Harlequins!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I just picked up this Harlequin shrimp pair tonight. I had been looking at them for the past 2-3 weeks. This past weekend I saw them eat at the LFS. I was hooked. They are fascinating! I brought them home and drip acclimated them for 2 hours along with a choclate chip star. When I put them in the tank the male (the small one on the left) got blown around the tank and got seperated form the female. The female got herself situated in a nice little cave. I watched off and on for about an hour wondering if the male was going to find the female. Well he did. They both found the star and dragged it back to their lair, that is when I snapped this picture.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh MY! Scott has created a MONSTER!! EEK!!!! the angry townfolk light torches and march on castle Dentaloid, burn him burn him!!! where are the PICS they scream PICs PIcs Pics Pics

Oops overlapping posts, lol, all right townfolk back to your hovels grrr grumle. Scott! beautiful additions great colors!

Last edited:

Triggerjay

Great Pic! Congrats on the new addition! How often do you have to feed them? That could get expensive in a hurry if they feed a lot.. lol

Jason

kathywithbirds

oh dear. They are pretty but I read a better feeding suggestion... keep a small tank of stars or some stars in another display tank and cut off legs and give those to the shrimp.

You know they keep the star alive by feeding it, right?

Cassette87

Very nice! Nice photo :) Scott, I read someplace that they know not to eat the "center" of the star, to leave it to regrow, so maybe they will, who knows? Very nice additions though!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks everyone! I'm most fascinated by them.

Jason, I was told by the LFS employee to feed them every two weeks. I was concerned about the cost of feeding them, but the owner at the LFS said he would sell me chocolate chips for $5.00 since I was using them as food. They usually go for $10.00.

Kathy, that sounds like a good way to feed, I'll have to do some research on that method.

Andy, my understanding is that they only eat the tubefeet of the star and that they keep the star alive by feeding it so that they can preserve its freshness.:D

It's amazing to watch them trying to flip the star over. The male is a strong little guy! As far as feeding goes, I have to detach myself form the star and not think about it.:bouncebox

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congrats Scott!! :dance:

I have tried cutting an arm off of a starfish before to feed mine but it didn't work out well at all. The arms are extremely hard to cut plus I would have to cut off an arm every day! My large harlequins would eat a large chocolate chip star fish in 2 weeks easily.

Now I buy 3 starfish at a time; feed one and keep the other two in the refugium until needed. MY LFS keeps CC in stock for me and only charges $6 each.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
I love Harlequins, I had one about 5 years ago, I called him my USA shrimp, he had red and blue spots with the white of course, Mine didnt last long, somebody ate him!! I havent seen one in a LFS since...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
As far as the Linckias, I have a hard enough time feeding them the Chocolate chip stars, don't think I could do that to a Linckia!:eek: I can't believe how much of the star they have eaten since yesterday! I read somewhere that they eat the tube feet only, but Woody set me straight on that. They eat the whole thing! Woody if you had a hard time cutting through it, I don't know how they do it!

Yes Lorraine, you are right. They are in the 20 gallon. Here is another picture taken last night. Sorry, it's a bit over exposed.

DSC_0005_1.jpg