Seahorse adventure!

cindyp

yep thats him! I don't plan to order my ponies until june " let the tank marinate" so maybe I will keep an eye on him and when he comes out to feed remove him. maybe?
well I guess I need to do some urchin searchin and find out if sumping him would be
copasetic. Thanks Mack!
lol my Husband just said "can we keep him?" ;)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Cindy. I guess check up more on the care and decide what to do with it. You might even be able to give it to an LFS if you don't want to keep it. They are unique little critters. Or, get an urchin tank for your husband LOL!

cindyp

I have been doing a lot of research on a DIY kreisel tank which will make 4 tanks lol I dont think I can do one for the urchin
but he is a cute lil feller:)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have a long spined urchin in with my seahorse growout tank with no issues.
I would definately remove the crab though. They could try to munch on a seahorse or even capture one :(

cindyp

I have a long spined urchin in with my seahorse growout tank with no issues.
I would definately remove the crab though. They could try to munch on a seahorse or even capture one :(

excellent then the crab will be moved and the lil urchin can stay:)
Thank you!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That brings up a question I had - any idea what harm could be done to the ponies by an urchin? I know some types, like the Tuxedo with many very fine spines, pick up and carry things attached on their back. Maybe that type would latch onto small ponies? The long spined ones would seem incapable of doing that.

cindyp

That brings up a question I had - any idea what harm could be done to the ponies by an urchin? I know some types, like the Tuxedo with many very fine spines, pick up and carry things attached on their back. Maybe that type would latch onto small ponies? The long spined ones would seem incapable of doing that.

That is a good question!
I think to be on the safe side the crab and urchin have to go.
I have been waiting to have seahorse for a long time and I don't want to risk it..
my motto "when in doubt get it out"
:)

redneckgearhead

The crab looks like a red Mithraculus sculptus (emerald crab). Not sure about him in a horse "stable" but he should be fine in your sump or other tanks.

cindyp

I just had a wicked,scary thought! how safe are seahorses around powerheads? I bought a little nano for the RSM 130.
I know they don't like a lot of flow but they still need a little.

cindyp

Thanks Uslanja:)
seems I have a little issue with the RSM how do you all keep your RSM tanks cool? I planned on a pony tank for mine but it reached 82F in the tank today:( and its not even HOT yet....

ccs

My wife is setting up a pony tank like yours. We just received a 1/5 hp chiller that I will install next week. She wants to keep her tank between 72 - 74 degrees and that will happen naturally here only in Jan & Feb.

SeaSiren

Hi Cindy just wanted to see how you are doing with your tank! i keep ponies too..and i love them they are very fragile though and even though I have 11 saltwater tanks not counting my breeders for clowns...I have found treating aliments for fish is so much easier with ponies it is much more difficult and today i lost a beautiful almost neon red H. Redi female that I loved to death....would love to see your progress

cindyp

well a few things have changed. I thought the RSM 130 was too small so I bought a new RSM 250 that is now up and running.
I filled it with seed water from the 180 a long with 30# of live sand and 70# of live rock. I am doing a shallow sand bed.
I plan to just let it marinate awhile before ordering my ponies I want to get through all the new tank phases before adding them.
I purchased a chiller that will be here Saturday.
Sea Siren I am very sorry to hear of your loss:(

Uslanja

Hi Cindy! Nice upgrade!! Is the 130 still running? So, where did you find the patience to "let it marinate awhile"?

cindyp

Hi Cindy! Nice upgrade!! Is the 130 still running? So, where did you find the patience to "let it marinate awhile"?
yes the 130 is still up I'm playing around with growing macro algaes in it.:)
I guess after setting up so many tanks and having 3 others to tend too at the moment the patience part comes easy.
I figure by letting the 250 stable out it will make a much better home for the ponies, I read a lot about them and get to look at
the ponies I intend to keep online. I am getting them from Ocean Rider and planning 2 pair of Sunburst and 2 pair of Mustangs
a little pricey but I feel you get what you pay for in this hobby.

cindyp

heres where the 250 is so far, I will be hooking the chiller up this weekend
its 11 days in and params are good and the skimmer is finally breaking in now:)
050-6.jpg

024-16.jpg

017-21-1.jpg