Scott's 65g w/pics

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Scott - nice to see you checking in ! Look forward to the pics !

the harlequin shrimp will wipe out the asteria starfish & I am sure they are eating the coraline algae, I have always wondered what the harlequin shrimp will do once they wipe them out... maybe other can advise... Liveaquaria talks about supplementing them, but I can't imagine this...

Harlequin Shrimp

ScottB

Ah, thanks Glenn.

I've considered that (although i suspect it would take a while being that there are hundreds of them) but what about the idea of manually removing a handfull of them and tossing them into the sump or the huge overflow in the back corner of the tank. (they could grow and feed on the algae in there without eating anymore coraline and perhaps "harvest" in there?

The cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp, as well as the tangs and coral beauty, "shouldn't" have a problem with the harlequin and decide to him, right? thats what i'm trying to make sure wont happen, being that its a pretty expensive shrimp.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I will tell you a newbie mistake I made, when I 1st started out (before I learned to post here on RS & ask 1st)

I was at the lfs one day, saw a cute little asteria starfish in one of the fish tanks & asked the guy can I have the little starfish, he gave him to me (without advise... like one will turn into 100) & I brought him home and into the tank (not even a hh), well you know the rest of the story... one became 100 & they did eat all my coraline algae (which some might think this is a good thing ;) , but I like it), well I have been manually removing them ever since.

I don't think the fish you listed would eat him. Good luck with um, if you get a harlequin, let us know how he does.

ScottB

Some updated pics of the progress on the canopy top...
Finally poly'd the rest of the bottom of the stand
IMG_1800_zpsdb616563.jpg

The stained and sealed parts for the top
IMG_1801_zpsf220c8fa.jpg

Stained and poly'd doors for the top
IMG_1803_zps2d2fb821.jpg

Side view that shows how the light fixture will sit in the canopy. The light will sit on the elevated brackets.
IMG_1806_zps5f9fe29b.jpg

IMG_1831_zpseedadbdb.jpg

IMG_1832_zps0deb608f.jpg

Almost finished... Just have a few more pieces to attach to the canopy....

Let me know what you think!!
I wanted something that was one of a kind and that no one else had on their tank...

Reefer85

Awesome job! Top to bottom! (pun intended :) - but seriously!)

Does your Coral Beauty bug your corals?

From a forum noob.... Who/what/where is "JJ"???

Reefer85

ha, not a problem at all... and no, my coral beauty does not pick at any of the coral. Thankfully!

glad to hear it... when I started in this hobby i always heard that coral beauties were "reef safe" but now the more i think about it, it's probably more about keeping them fat and happy with easier food so they don't need to pick on your corals :)

ScottB

Here's the proof! bc i've learned that with out pictures, it never happened!

had to use the flash because he's still being shy and hiding...

0E1B02BE-F3C2-494E-8CA1-4840D4284A4F-244-0000000E96F9947A_zps5eb55314.jpg

ScottB

wellllll... it's been about 2 weeks

The new harlequin shrimp has molted once already, but is still very shy and timid and hides about 98% of the time... days go by and I start to wonder if he's still alive and then i catch a quick glimpse of him every now and then... still PLENTY of asterina star fish for him to be feasting on...

Here's what a Harlequin's molten skin looks like... its super holographic and quite bright actually...
Pleasantly surprised he molted that fast too...

30871E5B-C605-4A80-8011-CE1714A77ADB-9634-0000050BD7D4A03B_zps43c976b5.jpg