Scott's 65g w/pics

ScottB

Here's tank 2 of 4. This one's a new endeavor (my first SW actually) so we'll see how this goes... haha lots to learn for sure.
Here's the basics, 65g, 60# LR, black substrate, 2 ocellaris, 1 maroon/ocellaris hybrid (Omen), 1 yellowtail damsel (Saban), 1 striped damsel (Demba), 1 cleaner shrimp (Pierre), 1 Fire shrimp (Henry, pronounced the french way "ohn-ree"), 1 turbo snail, 5 hermits.
Odyssea quad bulb T5 lights. 2 Actinics and 2 1000Ks.
The tank, LR, stand, sump, pump, heater, were given to me :) and I've assembled the rest myself.

The LR came straight from another SW tank and should have been "cured" pretty well. Ran the tank for about a week, put Demba in there. (Used primed faucet water, and mixed own SW) Slowly added the other inhabitants including CUC over the next 3 weeks and algae has started to grow. The CUC is doing a pretty good job and then the other day we left the light on for entirely too long, and there was a hair algae manifestation (not too bad). kept lights off for three days and algae went down

I have alllll kinds of questions but I suppose I'll start from the top. Should I let this algae grow in order to let the bacteria grow and become self sufficient? (don't black out the lights for days)
I feel like i may have rushed into it before the tank was fully cycled and now there's 5 fish in there. I've been testing water the past 3 weeks (ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia) and the numbers have consistently been: ph 8.0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0... there was a small period where the ammonia was a little high but never a significant "spike". There's little feather dusters growin on the rocks. I've attached pictures of the tank and rocks.

Next question is about the sump. The stand is vary narrow inside and the current Amiracle wet/dry Slim barely fits in there (8 inches wide). I dont use bioballs bc i read only bad things about em. I have the water coming down through the filter pad, over some LR. Heater's at bottom of sump and before water enters the return pump, passes through chemi-pure elite sack and back up to the tank. It's sufficient for now (I hope) but without the bioballs, it's pretty loud coming through the drip plate onto the water/rocks (i realize there should either be more rock or lower water level, sort of defeating the whole "drip" process). Also, there's also more micro bubbles in the tank than i'd like. I want to mod it to remove the drip plate and use a filter sock (reduce noise, make room for skimmer). Any thoughts or ideas about that?

If you read this whole novel i've just written, thanks. Bear with me, i'm a noob (but at least i have pics!!!)

DSC_1881.jpg

DSC_1565.jpg

DSC_1687.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

DSC_1712.jpg

DSC_1634.jpg

DSC_1668.jpg

catran

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

Nice tank, great pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ScottB

Thanks for all the comments; i'm sure i'm not the first to ask it so if there's a previously existing thread, i can be directed there, but:
How should i go about modifying the sump in order to reduce the loud noise? i have a durso in the overflow so thats pretty quiet, but water running through drip plate and onto rocks is very loud. I'm ok with removing filter pad and drip plate if there's a better alternative. Any advice?

ScottB

I'm getting tired of listening to the water splashing down into my sump. See photo below: What can I do to make it quieter? Remove filter pad and drip plate, replace with a filter sock? I'd rather not raise the water level much higher for "flooding" reasons.. any advice?
Also, i'm in the process of making an ATO, hence the empty 5G tank above the sump...

FYI: The bottom of the sump currently has a submersible heater keeping tank at 78, a black filter sponge (removes all the micro bubbles and adds an extra filter), a bag of Chemi-Pure elite.... its only a FOWLR, ya think i should get a protein skimmer or can that wait till I migrate into the coral world?

DSC_1892.jpg

DSC_1893.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Any way to mound the rock to limit the space water falls? Add a tube from the bottom of the pipe to flow into the water? Don't go to far into the water tho it can make farty noises. Sweet tank. Keep the pics coming.

Matt leaves out punctuation.

ScottB

so here's an update:

The bad news:
added a diamond goby named Colin (bc he sifts sand like a colander). He was happy as could be until one morning, i couldn't find him in the tank. I looked on the floor and there he was, gone to fishy heaven. sad sad

also, had a sebae anemone in the tank for a couple days before he decided to take it upon himself to find out what his tentacles would feel like inside a powerhead. pictoral proof of this coming as well... thank god the lfs took him back and gave me store credit for him, phew

The good news:
Added more rock, an RODI unit from BRS, an additional powerhead, some chemi pure elite, an ATO system, a yellow tang named Peeka (last name Chu), and a coral beauty named Rick Ross. (all added over the span of the last month)

Pics on the way, bc i know none of this means anything to you unless you all can SEE IT.. haha

considering venturing into the world of corals, any recommendations based on the current inhabitants?
65G: 1 maroon, 2 percs (no they dont fight), 1 yellow tail, 1 4stripe damsel, 1 yellow tang, 1 coral beauty (all fairly young)

ScottB

Here's the MaxiJet Anemone (lfs took him back for full refund, phew)
Sebae.jpg

Here's the new additions, Peeka Chu (Tang) and Rick Ross (Coral Beauty)
DSC_1945.jpg

DSC_1939.jpg

Updated shot of Omen (clown)
DSC_1936.jpg

Added some base rock... a bit white for now, haha i like that rock's are higher now though.
I'm assuming those are snail eggs on the black return hose

DSC_1913.jpg

And I'm alllmost done with the stand... the rest of the wood needs to be stained and sealed like the doors are...
I wanted something different than just an all wood stand, so I used 99cent 12"x12" tiles and cut them into 1 inch strips, (self adhessive) layed them down on plywood, and grouted in between them to give it a fancy shmancy look.
Here's how it looks up to date:

DSC_1920.jpg

I plan on making a canopy next. This will be no ordinary canopy though.
It's going to be same dimensions as the base (minus the 2x4 supports) and will go all the way up to the ceiling. I will also tile the front of it and stain the sides just like the base. Should make a grand appearance. I'll post pics along the way...

ScottB

Construction Update:

getting around to staining the rest of the base... i'll poly once it dries
DSC_1970.jpg

Can you tell i'm in college? empty keg and trashcan in background, pahaha

DSC_1971.jpg

"NO SIDE DOORS?"
Thats bc the whole frame is easily removable... wouldn't really use side doors that much anyways...

Here's the face of the stand, waiting to be attached to the support brace underneath the tank
DSC_1975.jpg

This helps for portability and convenience having it in separate pieces like this

Here's the side panels for the top canopy/ceiling that are drying, waiting for poly.
Yes, they will be vertical like this.. the top canopy will extend all the way up to the ceiling. Should look pretty BA when it's all done.
The front of the top will also be the stone pattern that i did for the bottom, but i'm working out the logistics of openings and accesses for the top. Into the think tank I go
DSC_1972.jpg

sk8rdn

Very nice. And you could always use the keg as a QT... Lol

....Color by Technicolor....

sk8rdn

ScottB said:
You know, surprisingly, I tried that. However the achilles tang that i put in there didn't make it. I was shocked.

Dude, drink the beer first!

....Color by Technicolor....

ScottB

I'm aiming at getting it built this weekend... don't know if i'll have time to completely polish it off with all its bells and whistles (that's a whoooole lot of tiles to cut and adhere and grout) but i'll give it a shot...