Running Chemi-pure Elite in RSM (CPE)

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I was sent the larger canister instead of two of the smaller size and was told this would work. After having it in my tank a few days, I'm wondering if this will suck too much of the trace elements out of the RSM 250 system. Am I being paranoid or should I get the 2 11 oz bags to replace the giant one. Thanks for the advice.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
John that is a good question - I run two of the 11.74 oz in my RSM 250 & ran one in my 130D

My 1st thoughts are running a bigger bag 46.96 oz would not hurt... as it's mostly absorption, but see what others think...

You could pick up some Boyd Chemi-bags $2.50 & divide it... would save you some $, I change mine every 3 months

Boyd Chemi-bags - 2/pk 5 in x 11.5 in

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
That rant article by Boyd is mostly full of gibberish marketing hype and nosense and is not a very good product at all. You will have a much better product by making your own using SeaChem Matrix GAC, their Purigen and PhosBan.

prestofish

I know this is an old post, but I found it by doing a search about CPE in my RSM250 and wanted to note that the featured info about the CPE in the OP says to use Poly-Bio Poly Filter pads both above and below the CPE bags.Does anyone do this for their RSM media setup?

Also.. I've been running two bags of CPE in an InTank basket with Purigen in the top rack. The purigen bag just kind of floats around because of how I've had to adjust my water level to get my skimmer to work regularly. Should I place the purigen above the top CPE bag on the 2nd shelf to ensure the water is flowing through it for maximum effect? would this cause flow problems?

Just looking for a little insight into proper use of the CPE, if its still recommended etc. (this post is 4 years old or so)

Thanks!

Pat24601

I know this is an old post, but I found it by doing a search about CPE in my RSM250 and wanted to note that the featured info about the CPE in the OP says to use Poly-Bio Poly Filter pads both above and below the CPE bags.Does anyone do this for their RSM media setup?

Also.. I've been running two bags of CPE in an InTank basket with Purigen in the top rack. The purigen bag just kind of floats around because of how I've had to adjust my water level to get my skimmer to work regularly. Should I place the purigen above the top CPE bag on the 2nd shelf to ensure the water is flowing through it for maximum effect? would this cause flow problems?

Just looking for a little insight into proper use of the CPE, if its still recommended etc. (this post is 4 years old or so)

Thanks!

First, welcome and start a tank thread. :)

Second, you probably should put filter floss around CPE as you suggested, but I sure don't and I don't think most other people do either. While it would be better because it would help filter the water before it gets to the carbon, helping the carbon not get gunked up. It might also help with flow...not sure.

The problem is that you have to change the filter floss often. I'd say at least once a week. That is a giant pain in my view because taking my media rack in and out is a giant pain. So, I use filter floss on the very top shelf of my media rack and no where else. That way it's easy to change once a week.

My CPE does just fine sitting in the bottom shelf changed about every two months. My tank parameters are great and I think it's doing its job nicely as is with low maintenance.

I'm not sure what you mean by purigen floats around. I put mine on second shelf from top and change about once a month. It seems to do very well. If it is floating around maybe put something on top of it? You do want the water to have to go through it as much as possible.