RSM Stomatella

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Before heading up to sleep last night I looked in the tank one last time, and saw some new critter on the rock that I had never seen in MY RSM in the 17 months I've had it set up. I thought it might be a Stomatella, but wasn't 100% sure. I quick took a few flash pics, none of which turned out well, but here are the best 2:

stomatella1.jpg

stomatella.jpg

It almost looked like something covered in white teeth, and was a bit freaky. I did some Stomatella searching on the internet today and it appears to be the same as some pictures on the internet of Stomatella varia.

Picture from Reefkeeping Magazine:

image023.jpg

I was going to post it in the Hitchhiker section for an ID, but no need to now. Reef safe algae eater, and good to have. Amazing to still be finding new life after 17 months!

tyleratl

Yup.. me too. Got one, but haven't seen him in about three months. It blows smoke into the water sometimes!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
tyleratl - sounds like it's spawning. I've seen puffs of "smoke" issued in my tank once in a while, but never could pinpoint the source - maybe I found it!

tyleratl

Yeah, it took me a while to pinpoint the smoke source. Then, some time looking at the hitchhikers guide to find the Stomatella. Like I said, haven't seen him in a while though, nor any smoke. So, I don't know if he's still alive or not.